ADA Microtube 200 power amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA Microtube 200 power amp?

Has anyone used an ADA Microtube 200 power amp? I saw a used one in a local shop today but didn't try playing through it since they had it wired into a rack case with a bunch of oddball stuff very far removed from what I use. Other than reading Harmony Central reviews, I know nothing at all about it. The price seemed good, but some of the reviews mention it being a tube-solidstate hybrid.

If I were to purchase this, it'd be running with an ART DST-4 preamp/processor, ART Tube Channel parametric EQ/compressor and a Rocktron Guitar Silencer. I'm looking for something an inexpensive tube power amp for recording.
    sigpic

Re: ADA Microtube 200 power amp?

For a light weight gigging rack I'd definitely use it but, I don't know about recording with it. You're not going to get a real 6L6/EL34ish tube tone out of 2 12AX7's.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I had an ADA stereo rack amp not sure the model
      1 side of the stereo amp blew I think
      I havn't used it for years
      I used it with:
      ADA MP1?
      Alesis Qudra-Verb
      Roland SRV-2000
      I stil have all these devices, but don't use racks anymore

Comment

MGR, huh? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I had one I used with my POD. It was nothing to write home about, and it had an issue - it would sometimes go into "protect" mode and not come out for hours. Kinda sucks when you want to play. It's not going to do a whole lot for your sound - it's basically Like Marshall Valvestate. I actually got a sound just as good using an Alesis RA-100 with my POD. Be careful of you decide to buy it and really give it a good once-over. I sold mine to MGR Uptown about 4 years ago - yes, they knew about the problem - but it could very well be the one I had. Mine was very clean just like this one.

You'd probably be better off just getting the Carvin they have there - it's a real tube power amp.

Comment

Sounds like maybe this isn't quite the amp for me. It's not like I'm in a position where I *need* a power amp, but I find myself drawn to the less common gear.

Thanks for the info!
          sigpic

Comment

I don't recommend them. hey are not really a hybrid. All the power is SS, the tubes are simply there to try and "warm up" the signal, but they really don't give the unit a tube tone. You are better off with a real tube power amp or a good SS power amp. Although I use a 2:90, a SS power amp can work well if you have a good preamp.

Comment

They're usually cheap enough to take a chance on. I had a microfet 100. It would over heat, lacked balls, and sounded thin. I heard guitarist in a local metal band playing through the 200. He sounded OK. He had the MP2 preamp too and a bunch of other rack gear. For a rack the size of a large dorm fridge, I thought I've heard better tone through less.

Comment

Working...
              X