Jazz Amp???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz Amp???

Ok before anybody starts laughing read first [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Jammed with a cat (jazz slang) 6-string bass fabulous player late 40's-he came in with his band and got me up and we tore it lose-it has been awhile since I had to concentrate on so many time changes-2/2,7/8,4/4 etc.. but we cut lose on some old weather report style free-form progressive jazz-it was great exchanged numbers and I said lets jam. Well I get a call from him a couple of days ago and find out that he's been recorded by Tupac,Snoop Dog and his song is on the latest Grand Theft Auto game-West Coast Pop Lock-He asked me to do the supper clubs and said hell to get you in I will pay you $500.00 a night Fri/Sat 4 hours a night-emm sounds good-$1000.00 a week for 8 hours of playing-Also anything after 2 night as a 4 night gig its $750.00 there after-emm-Hell yeah Daddy-O I'm in.
    Question is what amp do any of you jazz players prefer and why?? I tried out some jazz guitars yesterday and a Roland Jazz chorus,Fender Twins,Vibro's and Bassman's but for more flex I was thinking about a 2x12 line 6 combo so I would have chorus/delay etc.. with a full pedalboard under me???
    I have never tried a 2x12 line 6 so I will go tomorrow and try that-just thinking no extra pedals...Pro's and Con's anyone??
    Thanks,
    CJ Jazz Cat [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Jazz Amp???

Well, it would give you a lot of different tones in one rig.

Comment

Lots of hardcore jazz players use Polytone amps. I think this is partly due to the portability of them. Jazz players do many pick up gigs where they come in with their entire live rig in one shot. Amp... guitar...
      I would think that a Mesa Boogie Nomad would be a great jazz amp although its heavy.
      You can't go wrong with a Roland Jazz Chorus but those are pretty heavy too.
      Another interesting amp for jazz is the Fender Cybertwin. It really excels in clean tones.
      A 1 x 12 should suffice. Most guys opt for tubes except for the Polytone players.
      I would think that a Fender Twin Reverb or Super Reverb would be a great choice too. Thats why the Cybertwin might be worth looking at. They also make a 1 x 12 version.
      I have always been pretty partial to Carvin amps.
      An old X series amp is a good choice. They also make a really nice Vintage 16 and the Belair.
      I have never heard a Polytone amp in person but lots of jazz players use them. I suppose they must be pretty good.
      The model names Brute and Mini-Brute come to mind but I am sure there are others.
      Sorry for the rambling..

Comment

i would go twin reverb. it is perfect for jazz, and if you need some chorus or something just throw it in front. it will satisfy your needs 1000 times over. and a lot of old guys still use them. it'll stay clean loud, and it sounds great at low volumes too. most of the time a PA really isn't important in a jazz group, so the clean headroom is important.

BTW check and see how many effects this guy wants you to use. he may not want any. i've done gigs like this where i have been told what should be used.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

mogar-thats what I was thinking
          jgcable-hmm cyber twin 1x12 might work
          MD-I like the twin I tried the other days-As far as effects he told me to bring what I wanted-I was thinking a little chorus,delay maybe a little flange?? I will go to practice and experiment with it-Just thought my rack and 4 4x12's might be a little much [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Man go to a gig 2 guitars and one amp and thats it-sweeeeet!
          oh yeah and make some good $$$ [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Regarding effects, I think you need:
            Reverb
            Compressor

Comment

Vox AC30, by far the best amp for classic jazz, for fusion I would reccommend Carvins.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Polytone amps kicks ass.
                Jerry
                FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

jgcable-effects wise I do like to make it thicker with chorus reverb is on about every amp-it smooth jazz Kenny G,Sade,George Benson etc...
                  Endrik-hmm I forgot the Vox amp line
                  JerryP-I remember Polytone amps George Benson use them in 79
                  I need to get a hold of one to try
                  Thanks guys for the comments [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I searched around the web for a while and the Polytone amps seem to be the industry standard for jazz players.

Comment

Tony, a couple of years ago I went to see John Scofield, he is a legend, has played forever and with everyone (from Miles Davis to hip-hop dudes), he used Vox AC30, he had THE BEST jazz tone I've ever heard, it was definetly one of the best sounding concerts I've been. It was soo AMAZING.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

It really depends on the type of Jazz you are playing. Polytones are big with guys who use a smokey clean tone typically with a hollowbody guitar. Polytones have a very clean, clear tone and reproduce a guitars acoustic voice very acurately...not so great if you use overdriven tones. If you are playing more fusion type stuff (the impression I got) then some of the amps mentioned here are good choices. A twin will give you al the clean headroom you need and they take pedals very well for your overdriven tones. Many guys use the Mark series Mesa's, especially the Mark IV, which you can get in a 1x12 combo.
                        I thought the AC30 was an odd recommendation as they have limited clean headroom, but they do overdrive beautifully. I have never seen one used for traditional jazz but I'm sure it would sound amazing at low volumes. I saw Scofield in '96 and used a pair of Mark IV's, but he uses a tone that is far from traditional.
                        I've sat in on some jazz gigs and used my Matchless Chieftain...it sounded great but it is the same sort of amp as the AC30...great clean tone but you can't get too loud with it as the headroom needed for loud and clean just isn't there. I ended up not hearing myself well on stage but got a good tone coming through the mains. If you are going to go SS, I would try out the different modeling amps and see which one agrees with you. These would be much more versatile than say a JC120.

Comment

Working...
                        X