MXR ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive Peda?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive Peda?

I'm looking for a distortion pedal to put in front of my Fender Hotrod Deville 4x10. I looking for hard rock and metal tone at a moderate volume.

THe clips on mf'er sound sweet. Anyone play one?
    "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Re: MXR ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive Peda?

I think the Boss OD-3 is better.

Comment

IF your looking for a distortion pedal then why are you looking at the zakk wylde overdrive? Maybe go for the boss mt-2?

Comment

fulltone ocd or keeley ds1 ultra mod

Comment

I have the Zakk pedal and it's pretty good, but I find myself still using my SD-1 a lot. They have a real similar sound to me with a little more lows on the ZW pedal, when the settings are the same.

Hope that helps,

Jason

Comment

Thats right. The ZW-44 is an overdrive. If you want distortion you should look at:
            Ibanez SM-7
            Boss MT-2
            Line 6 Uber
            Marshall Jackhammer
            Marshall Gov'ner
            Korg 411FX
            Boss HM-3

Comment

it depends on who you talk to, I know someone who says it makes his SD-1 a PoS, he uses it in front of a 2203x
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

the old Korg Hyper distortions are cool!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

ToneBone Hot British

Comment

I started looking at the zw pedal after hearing the clips on musician's friend. The sound killer.

Anyone have experience with the mxr dime distortion?
                    "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

shit, I just passed post # 420.

Comment

I have a ZW44 and it slams a marshall like nobodys buisness, but it is a overdrive.
                        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I think the ZW-44 is a wicked pedal. I run guitar > ZW-44 > EQ - Amp (on clean). You can get pretty close to ZWs tone at medium-high gain but I haven't had any luck using it on a distorted amp (my amp is a Marshal MG30DFX). I find at lower gain levels it sounds similar to an AC DC sound when running on a clean amp.

[ QUOTE ]
                          Anyone have experience with the mxr dime distortion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll try and help as best as I can. I own the MXR Doubleshot distortion and I it's a great distortion pedal. If you read the review on the MXR page by Guitar Player, it tells about the two channels, they are the Dime section "the Dime section (a circuit identical to that of the Dime Distortion Pedal, ...) and the Classic section. I've also ran a Dime and Doubleshot side by side with the same equipment in a store and that furthered my belief they have the same circuits.

The Classic section (the top one) sounds like a very unique punk sound. I run it guitar > distortion > eq > amp (clean) and it is my favourite distortion by far (I keep distortion and OD seperate).

The Dime section (the bottom one) is a bassy, heavy distortion. I run guitar > distortion > eq > amp (clean). At first I didn't enjoy this section at all, but I have found uses for it over time and might be more to your style.

I've sold my Boss Metal Zone which I thought was junk, and I own a MXR Doubleshot, Distortion+ II and a ZW OD. If you're interested in the Dime or Double shot, try them out side by side and see, also don't forget to read all the reviews at harmony central in depth as that may help your descision. Hopefully I helped [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool, thanks for all the reviews. I'm gonna just have to bite the bullet and buy a bunch! :P

Comment

I would agree that a ZW-44 is a great overdrive for slamming your preamp tubes into submission on an already overdriven amp or as a solo boost in an effects loop.

Comment

Working...
                              X