Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good tube combo?

Hey folks,
    I just joined a Surf band for the hell of it, and I'm actually having a lot of fun playing this stuff... Los Straitjackets is the shit. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But, lugging around a half stack of SS gear isn't cutting it for the "surf/spring reverb" tone, so I was looking for a relatively inexpensive tube combo to take to these gigs. I's like to hang in the $200-300 range, seeing as this is just for fun, and don't want to put a million bucks into the ultimate tube rig. It doesn't need a lot of features, or even a second channel for that matter...just clean and reverb. So far I've been impressed by the Epiphone Galaxie combo. Anyone have any ideas what else might work in this price range?

Re: What\'s a good tube combo?

crate v series

Comment

Probably a bit more than you want to spend Tony but I had a Fender Hot Rod DeVille that would basically have been perfect for that surf band sound.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Visions of a laney A3012 popped into my head when reading the title and the pricerange.

I don't know what to recommend for those kind of cleansounds though.
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Peavey Classic 30
          Peavey Classic 50
          Peavey Ultra 60 Combo(what I have)

Jack.

Comment

I'll stick one in for the Crate Vintage Club series as it is right in the price and wattage range you want.
            The Peavey Classic 50 tweed combos are about the most convincing Marshall sound short of a older Marshall IMO.
            If you want a good rock combo for not much money..they are a great buy.

The Galaxy has gotten good reviews, I've not tried one meself.

Comment

Carvin X60, Carvin XV112E, Carvin Belair, Crate Vintage Club 50. Make sure that the amp has an Accutronics spring reverb that is long tailed so that when you switch channels the reverb trails off naturally.

Comment

+1 for the carvin belair

Comment

i played in a surf band for several years. we still occasionally record songs but no live playing anymore...

anyway, my experience has shown me that if you can't do the separate combo/tube reverb unit, then the best way to go is a fender twin reverb. then from there maybe a deluxe reverb. silverface fenders work really nice for surf and can still be found fairly cheap if you look around.

almost anything else just doesn't seem to cut it. it'll get you close, but no cigar.

another thing to consider is wattage. medium wattage will be the most authentic. even a twin is too loud (although for an all-in-one combo it's the best). the deluxe reverb is PERFECT because it's 22 watts, and you get the girth that you need to make the notes "pop". the reverb is still decent too.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

+1 on the Deluxe Reverb, although you'll have a tough time finding even a silverface in your price range.
                    Old Epiphone, Silvertone, Supro, etc. tube amps can be had for cheap in many instances and have a great tone, but their reverb frequently doesn't cut it. Play one of these before you uy if at all possible. If you have a decent 'verb pedal or outboard unit, these would definitely be the way to go IMO.

Comment

I know you guys hate SS but you should really check out the Fender Ultra Chorus. Its a 2 x 12 130w (65w per side) with outstanding chorus and reverb, 2 completely separate channels and its one loud mutha. I have one and it would be GREAT for surf. My buddy as an original 60's Super Reverb with 4 x 10"s and my Ultra hangs with it no sweat.
                      Mine has a brand new set of Carvin Vin 30 clones in it and it has plenty of body. It also has a set of casters installed on it. PM me if you are interested in buying it. I never use it. Its a 1992 and its mint. I think it would be perfect for what you need it for.

Comment

actually I have the amp chassis for one of those mounted as a head.. great clean channel and chorus.

Comment

PV classic 30 would be my choice, maybe a PV Bravo if you can find nice one on ebay
                          I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I second the Hot Rod Deville...

Comment

Working...
                            X