I *Think* I Want...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I *Think* I Want...

A Modeler. Yes...I know...I may be tempted to the dark side. I'm not giving up my mighty Marshall, oh no, but I would like something else completely different to play.

So.

I'm thinking Vetta? What do I want? Well, a combo, for sure. It's for home use...beyond that, I have no idea what the models are or how spendy they get. I would probably be at the $750 max used level.

School me please! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: I *Think* I Want...

OK...here's what I'm asking: Why do I see Vetta's for anywhere from $650 to $1599 on ebay? What's the diffference?

Pete..talk to me!

Comment

The original Vettas are steals on the 'bay. The more expensive ones are normally: 1) Vetta II's, and/or 2) include a floorboard.

The Line 6 web site says that an original Vetta that is updated to the latest software and outfitted with the $90 digital I/O card is the same as a Vetta II in every respect other than cosmetics. In other words, people paying big premiums for the II's are pissing money down the toilet.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

+1.

Here are choices Chuck:
        Vetta
        Vetta 2
        Flextone 3
        That Vox modeler that everybody talks about.

Comment

Thanks Brad and John. That's what I needed!

Comment

Yep, get a Vetta I HD. Only difference between a II and a I are the card in the back and cosmetics. I would get a HD over the combo because the HD is twice the wattage, and you can pick your cab then.

Besides, I hate combos, but that's just my preference. If you get one, let me know. You can give me a call if you'd like and I can run down a few things that make a huge difference on these amps.

Pete

Comment

Oh, one other thing - I read at one of the vettaville websites that line 6 is STILL planning some upgrades to the vetta. I know the II upgrade made it a much better amp, and they have commented several times that they aren't using all the processing horsepower in the amp.

Pete

Comment

Now chuck, weren't you telling me not go to the modeling side only one week ago? [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'll give you my two cents when I get the Vetta I bought from Brad next week. I never thought I would ever consider amodeler either. Times are a changin!
                "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

He he...yeah...do as I say, not as I do! [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

I don't know...I am having fun playing my POD thru my computer. Seems the modeling is a huge crutch...I can shred and get away with some serious slop through modelers. Plus, it doesn't seem to matter what your guitar sounds like with modeling amps, it's merely a trigger.

Like I said, I'll never give up my thundering JMP Marshall head, and I'm a tube guy at heart, but...damn if the other side doesn't offer some serious fun, too!

Comment

Chuck - I gotta disagree, at least with the Vetta - different guitars do not sound alike. If I was a total modelling guy, I wouldn't own over 1/2 dozen tube amps too... it's fun to just hit a switch and have 72 different amps, over 100 effects, 32 cabs, etc at my fingertips. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pete

Comment

Yeah, bad assumption on my part...I've never really played a good modeler...just my POD thru these little Dell computer speakers...don't much matter what I play, they sound the same. Ignorance talkin!

[ QUOTE ]
                      ... it's fun to just hit a switch and have 72 different amps, over 100 effects, 32 cabs, etc at my fingertips. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, that sounds like fun!

Comment

One thing that IS cool about the combo is that if you run the combo speakers to one side, and put the other side to a sealed cab - you can run all of your 'clean' amps panned to the combo/open back side and get a better tone that way, and run your overdriven/heavy tones to the sealed cab. It's pretty awesome. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I *Think* Chuck done lost his mind [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

They sound pretty damn good but not good enough to replace the real deal, close tho. I think they are cool for consistent tone at room levels or DI'd into the PC. For $750 I'd rather stick that down a few strippers G-Strings than a modelling combo [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Get ya an XT-Live and save some coin for a power amp of some sorts...
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Chuck another good choice is the Flextone HD2, basically the same as the POD you are allready playing with but in head version and you can get them pretty cheap. Either that or just buy a power amp of some sort and put your pod through it.

Comment

Hmm... a power amp... now I wonder where he could get one??

Comment

Working...
                              X