No announcement yet.

The Laney AOR thread (first tube amp!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Laney AOR thread (first tube amp!)

I got my first tube amp! A Laney AOR pro tube 30 combo. This thing rips. Very British tone indeed, with much more gain than a Marshall JCM800. Enough for metal, though I do think it'd benefit from less amp distortion and a boost. I have some little problems with the controls though...

First of: preamp 1, preamp 2, preamp one level, master volume...So many controls!
    I think the preamp 1 is basically what you switch on to kick in the real gain, preamp 2 is the gain knob for the amp as a whole, preamp 1 level is the master volume of the preamp 1, and master volume, the overall volume of the amp. Am I right?
    Is it ok if I put preamp 1 and 2 full on? I can't put the 1's level too high since obviously, it's too loud.
    I'm using a Seymour Duncan Full Shred. I'm plugging into the 'high' output. If I don't, I basically get a clean sound :| This pickup is supposed to be pretty hot though. Am I making a mistake and damaging the amp?
    If you have any tips about it, then just suggest. I really like the way it sounds

Re: The Laney AOR thread (first tube amp!)

I would thin it would be fine to dime out both the pre-amp controls, and control the overall volume with the master volume.

A friend of mine has the 50 watt head version, and he is using a BBE Sonic Maxmizer with it. Apparently the BBE gives the amp a solid kick in the pants, so you might want to try one of those too.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
    X