Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engl, Laney, Boogie, or XXX

So I"m in the serious hunt for an amp.

I just want people to vote for the one they'd pick..then tell me why please. THanks k-bye.

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    Engl Fireball
    0.00%
    Laney GH100L
    100.00%
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier
    0.00%
    Peavy XXX
    0.00%

Re: Engl, Laney, Boogie, or XXX

Mhmm
    I'd first go for the ENGL. Loads of gain, tight ass sound... Yum.
    Then the Laney for added versatility and cheap price. I'd probably add a good boost or OD, and maybe a Distortion pedal.
    Then the XXX just because it's metal enough.
    The Rectifier... eh bleh.

Comment

ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL ENGL

Comment

I would choose Mesa because I have owned mesa amps for 18 years with no problems and great tone.
        Screamin'

Comment

Boogie (not a rectifier though... :/ )
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Not too keen on the Fireball's shared EQ.

Rectifier mainly for resale value.

Never played the Laney but heard one in concert and it didn't do too much for me.

Triple XXX would be the second pick, I think.

Comment

I'm a Fireball owner,you know my opinion! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

as i understand you're going to play metal.

AS someone who is definitely not biased in some way (we , Europeans have much less engl-gas than you Americans [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
                i'd say

1)Fireball
                2)Dual/Triple (or mayby single as some say they are killer sounding - but you know - DR/TR are industry standards for heavy music)
                3)Peavey XXX
                4)Laney GH100L

ok. let's just say imho the XXX gets brittle compared to a rectifier when i heard them both.

Watch out and don't get caught into your new US trend called "recto's suck major ass" - there's a reason for those amps being legendary as heavy music amplifiers plus mucho bands in the DM/BM music which you're listening to afair are using them - let's just name cryptopsy and your fave behemoth ( altough nergals modded )

Generally i like a fireball way more than a recto but i'd take a recto in a heartbeat if i had to choose between that and the other two - they aren't in the same league.

The Laney - i know a dude who has it (that's the 4 channel right ? ) let's just say he wasn't getting the most stunning tones i heard in my life.

Comment

I own a Laney GH 100 TI which sounds quite nice, especially with a Mesa-cab. This is an extreme brutal combination.

I would choose the Savage over the Fireball.

Comment

I never heard or played an Engl...but I played and owned some of the others..

so I voted Engl.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

why no Uber up there..

It should be more of a fair fight...you know..

Engl
                    Soldano
                    Bogner
                    VHT
                    Deizel
                    Framus...

all in that same "league"..
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I only played a boogie, fireball and a laney, the XXX I'm not familiar with, but of them, I'd prefer the boogie, like the tone better. The firemball is OK as well and the laney is definatly not my cup of tea, to go short: a shitty amp compared with the engl and boogie

Harrald

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        why no Uber up there..

It should be more of a fair fight...you know..

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah sure Bill, But Drip is talking about heads in the 1000/1300 usd price range (used rectos/fireballs) or even cheaper in the case of the xxx ( 600-700) and the laney ( never gave a f!@# about them [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Comment

I voted for the Engle only because of all the great reviews I have heard. It is quite a bit more money than the XXX and the GH100L for sure!!
                          Bang for the buck?? The Mesa. Both for tone and resale value if you pick one up used. They REALLY hold their value. Its nice to know you can get all of your money back if you decide to sell it down the road.

Comment

I'd go for the mesa. The engl powerball I played through didn't do a whole lot for me - it had a very solid state feel to it. Of all the amps that I played at the same time (Uber, Shiva, 2 XTCs, Soldano Avenger) the Engl was the loser of the group. Just my opinion, however. If I found one cheap enough I'd buy it to see if tube changes and minor tweaks might help, but I know there are some great tones in the mesa - just have to dial em in.

Pete

Comment

The Engl fireball isn't that much more money....you can find them on EBAy for a bit under 1000 bucks usually. when they indeed show up.

the Laney's seem to be around 700 dollars...I'm goign by ebay sightings. and the XXX is the cheapest on the list...

Comment

Working...
                              X