Rack Set-up Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack Set-up Question

I was at guitar center yesterday and started thinking about a paramectric eq??? The only full space they had-(good quality)-
    was a presonus eureka-it has a preamp/compressor/eq and master volume section. I have never used one in a guitar rig before.
    I was thinking of placing it right after my cae 3+se or should I place it before the cae?. Like I said I have never had any experience with this type of rack piece. Also each section can be bypassed. Just wanted to here a few suggestions from those who have.
    Should I run it before/after the cae or put it in the dmc system mixer?
    Rig:
    cae 3+se
    presonus eureka
    line 6 pro delay-----run thru dmc system mixer
    line 6 pro mod-------run thru dmc system mixer
    black cat univibe----run thru dmc audio switcher
    swamp thang univibe--run thru dmc audio switcher
    boss ac-2 acoustic pedal-run thru dmc audio switcher
    Thanks-Just wandering [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Rack Set-up Question

I'd recommend putting it after the preamp, but others here have recommended placing EQs in front of the preamp.
    Whenever I do that, I get lots of noise out the back end of the chain. I guess if you've got a good noise gate....

But then running it after the preamp eliminates the need for a noise gate so......
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'd take back the lower end PA oriented presonus, and get a real guitar quality EQ like a TC 1140 or even a lesser Furman PQ3. I think most people would enjoy the TC the most. I just went back to mine and pulled the Furman.

The CAE is VERY finicky about things it plugs into. And will tonally rebuke many things I have found. Cool you havethe mixer to totally pull things out of the mix.

Some people won't really need the EQ with the CAE, for what I do, I need it.

Definitely don't get a Behringer. Absolute tone coffin there.

Put the EQ right after the CAE, or yes you could run it in the mixer as well. Don't run it up front of the CAE.

Comment

I'll throw in my standard answer: ART Tube EQ or Tube Channel EQ/mic preamp/compressor. The Furman PQ3 is also a good option, although I haven't played with one very extensively.
        sigpic

Comment

I would say first........most preamp sections always go before the exf.
          Efx should go
          guitar>tuner>compressor>wah>preamp>eq>noise surpressor>volume pedal>efxs>delays>reverbs

this is a basic cant go wrong overview

Comment

By placing the EQ before the preamp, you will be altering the input of the preamp. I would put it after the preamp so you are equalizing the output.
            Screamin'

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It went wrong with a tuner in the signal path pretty much immediately! haha...

They gotta be switched out... They all introduce issues when in the path unless a true bypass type, and there aren't any switchable true bypass rack tuners I'm aware of....

Comment

Cleveland Metal-I will check into the tc electronics eq-Man I thought the presonus was a good choice??? I read the reviews about it being used with electric guitars in recording and live situation and for the price $500.00 nothing else could touch it??-When I get home tomorrow I'm going to put it in and check it out-Going to look for some tc-1140 reviews.
                Thanks

Comment

The presonus is a great EQ for recording setups, PA stuff etc. Just maybe or maybe not necessarily for rack/guitar usage, that is all. Maybe it is cool.

The CAE is finicky though. It shows EVERYTHING like with a magnifying glass. Pickups, Cables, wirelesses (they most all sound iffy with the CAE, sigh), Effects units. etc etc... You just have to try stuff and see if it acts out towards it, haha...

Not to be negative towards it, sorry, I know it's pricey.

I do say, try the Presonus in the mixer so you can isolate it easily, and see if "you" like it. You have it already, have at it! You may find it is cool It will certainly be quiet.

Shame you dont live close enough to play with my stuff and compare them. I have the TC 1140, an old Furman PQ3 and some misc graphics and even several BBEs (yuk) as well.

So nice to check that shit out in your rig. What works ij a different rig well, won't work in yours. Stuff I had that I thought was stellar, sounded like ass with the CAE preamp, it tells all and no lies...

I'm still heavily respecting the TC, quiet, wellmade, and pretty cool, sorta sterile though. I guess that is a good thing.. There is something interesting about the Furman, it has cool character. But is archaic, and very noisy.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It went wrong with a tuner in the signal path pretty much immediately! haha...

They gotta be switched out... They all introduce issues when in the path unless a true bypass type, and there aren't any switchable true bypass rack tuners I'm aware of....

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, I would use the tuner at the end of the chain or in the effects loop.
                    I would also use the noise suppressor first in line before everything else, as the input signal may be too strong and the suppressor may not respond as well after (not always the case, but it's good to experiment and see what works best).
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use a stereo noise gate after everything except the delay. This way the gate doesn't cut off the last couple of echos. My tuner is linked to one of the loops on my GCX switcher
                      Screamin'

Comment

Working...
                      X