Looking for a 2x12 Combo Amp Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a 2x12 Combo Amp Suggestion

As I enter the twilight of my gigging career, it is time that I seriously think about finding a good combo amp. Especially since the venues I'm playing anymore rarely have a decent stage for the band. [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] They usually throw the band in some corner on a piece of shit for a stage where the bass player's headstock is damn near up your... [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] Sorry about that, back to my question.

For years I've been using 2 Marshall half stacks, '71 SLP 100 for clean and '02 2203x for dirty. The problem that I've found with most 2x12 combos is that clean channel is rather weak and/or the dirty side does not have nearly the balls of my 2203x head.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who is making a good combo amp?

Thanks, Dave

Re: Looking for a 2x12 Combo Amp Suggestion

What type of music are you playing, and what's your price range?

Roland combos get lots of good reviews for their clean channels, but you'd need a distortion pedal...and they are solid state amps. A Peavey Classic 212 or 410 would be a good, versatile tube combo for a very reasonable price - I've used the `70s versions of both sizes and find them to be great alternatives to half stacks.
    sigpic

Comment

Primarily we play 80's and 90's pop songs. Stuff like Honeymoon Suite, Duran Duran, Maroon 5, Weezer. However, I've never really tried to reproduce my tone to match the song we were doing. I've always dialed my sound in to my preference. That preference being to reproduce as close as possible George Lynch's sound on Dokken's Back for the Attack album.

I've heard about Bogner Shiva's and Mesa LoneStar's, but have yet to try either one out.

Thanks, Dave

Comment

If you can afford it, I like the Mesa stuff.
        Screamin'

Comment

Working...
        X