Old SS amp, dried out caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old SS amp, dried out caps?

I have a Marshall Lead 12 practice Amp I like a lot. It's usable, but it doesn't like to power on.
    When you flip the lighted on switch, the light flickers, or the amp tries to come on, some guitar sound gets through, but the light on the switch doesn't come on. In that state, it sounds like crap.

My guess is the old caps just are giving up. If I leave the amp on and rock the switch off, then on again real quick, I am back in business.

Would you replace all caps, just the ones on the power supply, or suspect another part?

Is capacitor 'drying out' real or just an easy way to explain the breakdown of chemicals in capacitors over time?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Old SS amp, dried out caps?

Why not start with the switch [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I had an old Danelectro tube amp. It powered on but sounded awful. I sold it on E-bay with the statement that it may need caps. The buyer e-mailed me back and said that was it. In your case, start with the switch and work you way up. It's a lot easier.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
    X