My new amp competition:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new amp competition:

The cheaper the better, but I'm willing to spend it for good stuff. Here's what I'm looking at:
    Laney AOR 50 watt
    Yamaha T-50
    JCM 800 (I think I found a source for a price competitive enough with the others, dunno the model yet)
    Peavey VTM60
    My thoughts on the various ones, I'd rather not have to run a pedal to get the heaviest sounds out of them, which is a plus to the 5150, right? But I can crank a 50 or 60 watt head no problem in my house, but I'm worried a 100 watt+ will be too much. I don't care about clean channel at all. As far as the sound I'm aiming for, I guess Horror Show era Iced Earth. All advice would be appreciated.

Re: My new amp competition:

I used to own an AOR 100 and it was a great amp...Marshall on steroids tone with a smoother top end. I wouldn't hesitate to get another old Laney, AOR 50 or 100, if the price was right. Everyone has the 5150 and it's ok but I never really cared for them although I heard others use them and sound great. Play them and let your ears make the decision. A blind test is the ultimate as there will be no preconceived bias affecting your decision.

Comment

Most of these amps would be impossible for me to find in real life. I could probably find a 5150 at GC, and if I'm lucky they'd have a JCM800 reissue.

Comment

What kind of tones are you looking to get?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Horror Show era Iced Earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of the choices, that Peavey VTM is a little monster. Manyaxes has one and it sounds incredible at home levels. He can have any amp he wants, and has no desire to get rid of the Peavey.

Lots of folks like the 5150...I personally don't like them, but, whatever.

Yamaha T50's are hit or miss...I've heard people saying they sound great. I've never heard a great one but they must be out there.

You've heard the comments on Laney's from those in the know. I had one, I think I dug it, it was a long time ago.

I wouldn't touch a Marshall at that price range. I'd guess there was/is a good reason why it's so cheap.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I wouldn't touch a Marshall at that price range. I'd guess there was/is a good reason why it's so cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Absolutely correct. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

You'll have to push the Laney with a pedal to get that heavy.

I think it's pretty smart to go with the 50-watter. Two fewer tubes, and a whole lot less heat to work the circuit board over.

Comment

If you could crank a 50w tube amp at home you shouldn't have any problem with 100w. The 5150 is a great choice.
                Carvin MTS3200 is another good one.

Comment

Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Head or like I have the Peavey Ultra 60 watt 1x12, great amp, even better after putting high gain JJ`s in. I run straight or use a Boss MT-2 pedal for that recto gain, but with that Peavey/Boss fizz unfortunately. Jack.

Comment

matching cab

BBE 422 in loop

That's it...

for anything in that price

IMO.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

matching cab

BBE 422 in loop

That's it...

for anything in that price

IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Horns! I've noticed people talking about that BBE widget. What's it do?

Comment

Well, low notes seem to be "slower" than high notes. (I think, it may be the other way around, oh well, no matter, same principal) so the BBE kinda stacks the cards, slightly delays the highs so they explode from the amp with the lows at the exact same time, resulting in a more balanced, clearer tone.

Comment

was it only the one i played or are they also applying a midscoop to your sound ? How is it with the 422?

Comment

nonememzx summerized that pretty nice..

for some reason that 422 likke the 5150 the best...

match made in heaven...or hell

whichever you prefer.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

but if you own a 5150...the BBE is essential...!!!!!

it will wake the bastid up like you won't belive...BIG ..difference...
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              was it only the one i played or are they also applying a midscoop to your sound ? How is it with the 422?

[/ QUOTE ]
                              It will only scoop your tone if you apply too much processing, ie don't crank both knobs. I use mine subtley, with the low contour at about 3 oclock and the high at noon to 1. The 422 is what I use in my rack, and seems to have a mellower sound than the 482, which I also have but use more for recoeding and mixing, although it sounds great for guitar as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X