ENGL Savage 120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENGL Savage 120

I was listening to clips at of ENGL amps and really loved all of them!! Wow is it hard to choose to buy an ENGL, but I must say, 1 stood out alone, the Savage 120. That thing is nasty as hell sounding [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It kinda sounds like the Powerballs 4th channel, but with a tad more bass, and a little more nasty if that makes any sence. What I don`t get is how they get out all the nastiness with just 2 power tubes and only 1 pre-amp tube? Unless the description was wrong, is 1 pre-amp tube correct? Anyway, that amp rocks!! The crunch is out of this world [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I also like the fact it has round control knobs over the chicken head knobs of some of the models, the ENGL SE would be my 2nd choice for varity of tones, but is just a hair under the savage for nastiness. Jack.

Re: ENGL Savage 120

From what I hear on Darkane and Destruction albums, I love Savage! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

From Engl's website (http://www.engl-amps.com), it looks like the Savage has 2 6550's plus 1 ecc83 dedicated to the power amp section, and 5 ecc83's dedicated to the preamp. I'm sure someone else can chime in with more specifics for ya. The Savage does rock though, I wish I had the cash for one myself.

Comment

Just to point out the Savage "120" does not produce 120 watts of power as it's name implies, more like 65-70W which is about the max from 2 6550s. Just thought I'd mention that.
        [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BTW It has 2 power tubes: 2 X 6550s
        6 preamp tubes: 6 ECC83s, one of which is the phase inverter.

Comment

Am I the only one around that's really skeptical of audio clips? It seems to me that a skilled engineer could make just about anything sound good...

Not to say Engl doesn't sound good. Too many people who's opinions I trust have good things to say. I'll get to hear an Engl first-hand next week when Hammerfall stops in for a visit in my city, too!

But anyway, it's kind of hard to tell just through a clip, really.

Comment

I'm really happy with mine. It is PLENTY loud even if only putting 65-70Watts, and has great tonal possibilities

Comment

Wow, I wonder why they name it a 120 then? either way, plenty powerfull for my house [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

fuck what you hear on "albums" and "clips"...fuck em all...

get the amp in your face...fuck with the knobs ....play yer guitar ...use your ears...and decide!

Bill Z Bub
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I agree with that bro, but man is it hard to find an ENGL amp in Pittsburgh. Jack.

Comment

ive played the savage and it was a great sounding amp. rock solid amps has pretty good clips and the amp sound very close to the clips.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I was listening to clips at of ENGL amps and really loved all of them!! Wow is it hard to choose to buy an ENGL, but I must say, 1 stood out alone, the Savage 120. That thing is nasty as hell sounding [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It kinda sounds like the Powerballs 4th channel, but with a tad more bass, and a little more nasty if that makes any sence. What I don`t get is how they get out all the nastiness with just 2 power tubes and only 1 pre-amp tube? Unless the description was wrong, is 1 pre-amp tube correct? Anyway, that amp rocks!! The crunch is out of this world [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I also like the fact it has round control knobs over the chicken head knobs of some of the models, the ENGL SE would be my 2nd choice for varity of tones, but is just a hair under the savage for nastiness. Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the exact description of the fireball,thats why I got 1 and sold the powerball. You should get a hold of Derek at Rocksolid amps and make sure his clips aren't screwed up. Tha savage is great but I think the fireball is more aggresive.(and cheaper cause of less versatility) The savage might be maxed out too where the fireball is just warming up at that level. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                      X