Soldano or Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano or Marshall

Most of you know that I own a 1987 Marshall JCM800 #2210. To me it is virtually perfect in regards to tone, volume and gain.
    I have never had the pleasure to play through a Soldano SLO100 and I was wondering what the noticeable differences between the 2 amps are in regards to tone and gain.

Re: Soldano or Marshall

I'll start by saying that I do not own or have ever played an SLO.

However, I own a Lucky 13 combo and have owned a Marshall JCM900, JCM2000 and currently own a 6100LM.
    Speaking with Soldano, the L13 circuitry is almost identical to the SLO, less gain but same clean channel. According to Soldano a simple circuit modification will make a L13 into an SLO. I have not done and may not ever do so.

The Soldano is a tight amp with incredible tone definiton. At the highest gain setting on the L13 string definiton is truly outstanding. From what I hear the SLO picks it up there and takes it even higher, if you can believe that.
    The clean channel has a three dimensional quality to it. Very organic and pure, we are talking Fender, Rivera type cleans.

IMHO, the Marshalls I've owned have been rock 'n rolling machines, but rather thin sounding (I rarely use fx) and at the higher gain settings note definition and string separation are just not there. I still have the 6100LM and probably will never part with it. Marshall has that sound and you will miss it after a while.

You get what you pay for, most of the time, and Soldano is just a better built sounding amplifier. The construction is tank like.
    The note definition will force you to be a better guitar player, I am convinced of that. Any picking deficiency, palm rub against a string or non muted strings are exposed big time.
    The SLO has been lauded as the best amp ever. I don't know about that. It has been out a while and many advances, tweaks and modifications have been done through the years to take that sound better by other manufacturers.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

"You get what you pay for, most of the time, and Soldano is just a better built sounding amplifier. The construction is tank like.
      The note definition will force you to be a better guitar player, I am convinced of that. Any picking deficiency, palm rub against a string or non muted strings are exposed big time."

+1

Comment

Soldano +1. I have both. Come on over. Make your own decision. Roadtrip! Anytime bro.

Comment

I used to own that JCM800, and checked out a friend's SLO recently... the SLO is thicker, has more string to string definition, and more gain. If I had a choice between the two, I'd go for the SLO in a heartbeat. However, that JCM800 you have was one of my favorite marshalls - I liked it more than the 2203 I had, or the 50 watt silver jubilee.

Pete

Comment

The new VHT Deliverance I heard at NAMM sounded great. Comaparing it to the SLO it had a very simular tone with more bottom. Also had great string definition. Being the clean picker that you are JG, It would probably suit you very well.

Comment

Hey firebird V,

Where at in Jersey are you? Are you anywhere near the DE Mem. Bridge, which is like an hour and 45 minutes from the Meadowlands.
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I have owned a 2210 and am a long time SLO100 owner and player. I liked the 2210 ok but certainly prefer the tone, response, and attack of the SLO. They actually have somewhat similar characteristics in that they both have crisp high end. However, the 2210 was just a little harsh to my ears and it sounded to me to become more so when pushed hard. The SLO is a little like that at low volumes but at gig levels the low end and mids "catch up" and the tonal response is perfectly balanced and smooth as silk when pushed.

Regarding the L13: Soldano will make you an L13 with the same specs (transformers, internals, and components) as they use with the SLO but it will be a $3K amp. I don't believe a simple tweak of a stock L13 will give you an SLO. There are many differences but the lineage is there, just like with the Hot Rod series. All the Soldano products start with the SLO design and they market that fact heavily. They don't often market the internal differentiators between the SLO and other products.

My favorite thing about the SLO is that it has not changed in nearly 20 years since its design. In fact, I see that many manufacturers famous for "do it all" amps are creating models harking back to more simple designs like the SLO.

Mike has always claimed that the SLO was evolved from bits and pieces he liked about Marshalls, Oranges, and MKII Boogie amps. He was doing a lot of 2203 gain mods back in the day and took requests and what players were asking for in terms of mods and made an off the shelf Hot Rod that culminated in the SLO100 design.

The SLO magic solution is in the simplicity, the design, the build quality, and the premium components used in the amps.
                www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

I'm going to have keep my eyes open and score one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In the 20 yr of production, are there any that are better or worse for that matter or if you get a SLO you'll be happy regardless of year?
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Obviously, many JCF bro's have VERY kick a$$ modded amps or high end boutique amps. Ubers, Powerballs, Cameron or Voodoo modded Marshalls, VHT this, Engl that, etc.. and I really have gotten a good feel to what a good metal guitar sound is after reading the numerous posts regarding the +'s and the -'s of these amps. They all have their strong points and possibly a few weak points except 1. The Soldano SLO100 seems to be the amp that has no weak points at all. It has remained the industries 1 constant relatively unchanged high gain metal amp for almost 20 years now. I have never heard a single complaint regarding it, it IMHO is the most difficult amp for a modeling amp to nail and nobody seems to ever sell one to get a different amp. They are either not gigging anymore or they need the cash for some other reason.
                    Any comments??

Comment

The only thing I don't like, and its minor, is the fact both channels share the same EQ section. I'm still getting one though. To be honest my clean tone setup is generally close to what my OD channel is. So it's pretty much a non issues as far as I'm concerned. But that's the only thing remotely close to negative that I could come up with. For me the SLO has always been the tone to achieve. Can't do it unless you have one. I'm going to try and find an early 90's one for myself. Pretty bare bones. No mods. I heard the new ones are built exactly the same. I did hear they aren't using the DeYoung transformers anymore also. I'm not sure how true that is though.
                      We must!
                      We must!
                      We must increase the bust!
                      The bigger the better!
                      The tighter the sweater!
                      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

My JCM800 is the closest I have gotten yet to the SLO100 tone. I never actually played through an SLO but I have heard them and it is a unmistakable tone. Super high gain, super fat, tons of harmonics and still remains as clear as a bell. Someday I will own one. If I liquidated some gear I could get one immediately but I am diggin my 2210 alot.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Hey firebird V,

Where at in Jersey are you? Are you anywhere near the DE Mem. Bridge, which is like an hour and 45 minutes from the Meadowlands.

[/ QUOTE ] No, Chris is up in the woods in Vernon. I live right near the Meadowlands.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I want an SLO now... I just need a great lead amp.... Fire... Did you compare it to the Bogners?
                            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Shawn, having an SLO and an Ecstasy is honestly the best of all worlds. Having the duo is the only time in my life I've ever had two amps that I have been completely happy with. Every other instance one amp has been better than the other and a sale soon resulted. Both the SLO and XTC amps are good enough and distinct enough to live happily ever after together in harmony.

Of course I have a Marshall and a Boogie, too, for good measure! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X