Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maxon OD-808 = Best booster overdrive ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxon OD-808 = Best booster overdrive ever.

I happened to try one of these out today, I sat there and compared it to the Ibanez TS-808 reissue though a JCM 800 50W halfstack.

Incredible tone. Its very very smooth, balanced tone, it keeps your playing dynamics intact. It has a fat tone, and its QUIET! Its very very very very transparent too.

Ive been using a (taiwan made) Boss SD-1 with my JCM 800, and the results are nice, but they arent exactly what I wanted. Its harsh sounding, has no bass, is noisy, isnt very transparent, and doesnt articulate dynamics like the OD-808.

The difference between the Ibanez Reissue TS-808 and the Maxon OD-808 is very very small. They are almost identical.
    They both put my SD-1 to shame. The way I tried it, the Ibanez was a tiny bit smoother, but the difference is so tiny and insignificant, they would probably trade sounds if you swapped the batteries. The Maxon is $60 less than the Ibanez, so I took the Maxon home with me.

I also tried a Tube Works Tube Driver, which sports a real tube. It was nice, but not really an amp booster. It was for people who have a Fender amp they like, and need to get hairy once in a while. Its powered by a normal power cable, and not a 9v battery or daisy chain system.

Im very happy, If you have the means, I highly recommend you give the Maxon a try. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Maxon OD-808 = Best booster overdrive ever.

Send me any Tube Screamer and I will put the 808 mod in it.
    TS5,7,9,or 10.

Comment

Huh?

I was just giving a review of my new Maxon OD-808.

The SD-1. . . is going on the bay.

Comment

I can also mod your SD-1. The Maxon OD-808 is overpriced.

Comment

Jgcable, I might take you up on that offer. Do you have any extra TS's around that you'd sell to me?

Comment

I don't but you can pick up a TS-5 for around $20.00

Comment

The best overdrive is the Klon Centaur. I've owned all the rest - none come close to the Klon.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Tim, not to many dudes can shell out $300.00+ for an overdrive pedal. For that kind of scratch it better be good. I am constantly impressed by your pedal knowledge. I never heard of many of the pedals you bring up. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Well, "Best booster overdrive ever" wasn't really a claim to be held to.

I was just expressing that it was very very good, and for relatively cheap without getting into the Boo-teek world.

Comment

John, I'm with you there. It was VERY painful to spend 300 on a Klon and then wait many months for it to be built. I went for it based on reputation and feedback from some guys I know who really know there stuff. Also, I haven't checked lately but at the time they sold on ebay for more than it cost to order one. When I got it I was blown away. There is no setting on that pedal that is not usable. It is the most "musical" overdrive I've ever used. It really shines when your amp is hitting it's mid point or so volume wise. Thanks to Ebay, pawnshops, and GC's great return policy I've had an original Boss SD-1, an Analogman modded TS-9DX, a TS808 reissue, a TS-5 modded to 808 specs, an original TS-9, a Digitech X-Series OD, a Barber OD of some sort, a Maxon OD-808, Visual Sound Jekyl & Hyde, Ibanez PDS-1, and more I can't remember.

After the Klon, I'd say I like the Ibanez TS808 reissue or the PDS-1 best. The PDS-1 is a real sleeper - it's got like 3 or 4 of the right JRC23423423942394234 or whatever magic op amps in it and it can store 10 presets - it sounded and worked great.

John, have you compared your modded TS's to the current 808 reissue? I've had a couple modded pedals that sounded great but they didn't stand up to the 808 reissue. A buddy of mine said there are apparently about 4-5 different 808 mods floating around - I guess I've tried two of them at this point.

- Newc

Comment

Just remembered - the Barber was a Tone Pump - that was a VERY cool pedal too. A bit different than the 808 style.

- Newc

Comment

I haven't compared my modded TS's to the new reissue 808 but I have to think they must be very similar. The mods on a TS are so subtle that sometimes you have to play with it for a few days and then compare it to a stock one to notice the real differences. What I go for is transparency. I want it to push the amp but I really don't want anybody to know it's there.

Comment

My favorite overdrive/booster is the fulltone fulldrive II, but my modded SD1s ain't bad at all. It's amazing what you can do with a few resistor/cap swaps in the ibanez and boss pedals.

Pete

Comment

John, I'm not sure where you are getting a transparent TS. I've never heard one that was. They all have a mid hump no matter what mods have been done. I'd say a TS is a great pedal but transparency doesn't come to mind at all. A TS adds a bit of snarl and a mid range focus/punch. I love a TS as a solo boost pedal - you can really cut through with it.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                            X