cabinet related question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cabinet related question

I recently bought a Laney 4*12 cabinet, seems to me as decently built, only the speakers are not by a real wel known brand, at least not to me. Yesterday during a gig (first gig and first time to crank it up) I noticed that the sound gets distorted on medium high volumes on the clean channel that has nothing to do with poweramp drive, but that the sound of the speakers is breaking open. the amp was a mesa 50/50, from which I only used 1 channel and on half power (25 or is that 15 watt... whatever, something like that) and the feeding from the preamp was set low (poweramp high). I am somewhat confused since the cab was running on 4 ohm (matching the poweramp) and the capacity is 240 watt (4 times 60). how is this possible, with my old 1*12 cab with an eminence 100watt speaker this did not happen [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Harrald

Re: cabinet related question

I noticed this happen on my Crate 4x12 (speakers are either 25w or 30w Crate/St. Louis Music) when playing clean while running my Carvin DC150 power amp into it, but it doesn't do it when I run it into my little 1x12 cabinet with Celestion G1275T. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

hmm, nowan else???

Harrald

Comment

hi i tried a laney 4x12 (on my Randall and ENGL) too
        it is labled "H|H loaded"
        i didn´t like the sound at all
        it´s somewhat crispy/metallic in my ears with no butt at all
        the only config i thought it was ok, was with a Laney top
        one more thing(i had with my marshall 4x12 vs-series):
        maybe one speaker is defect(e.g. blown by too much bass)
        try if you can narrow that distortion down on one of the speakers
        if you get it
        open the cab and
        slightly push the membrane with your hands
        see/feel/listen if it will go in smooth or if it scratches
        if it scratches, that´s it , swap it

Comment

Not sure if this will help, but you may be underpowering the speakers. Contrary to popular belief, speaker distortion typically occurs in an underpowered situation. Lack of power forces the speakers to flex in ways they aren't supposed to, causing distortion, as they try to reproduce the volume you're demanding without the power to accomplish it. Try flipping the power switch up to the higher level and see if it gets better, worse, or stays the same.

Comment

VINTAGE 30's!!

Comment

Working...
            X