Tube ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube ?

Lately my amp has been making a lot of noise and has been sounding like crap. This happening since it was dropped(not by me).

If the tubes are bad, would the clean channel sound ok? It has the noise and hiss, but doesnt sound like crap like th distortion channel.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Tube ?

I'm no amp tech but have had issues with similar symptoms. In my case it was the rectifier tube gone bad. In alot of amps ther are tubes specific to each channel. Like this 2 channel BadCat. So one on the dirty channel could have gone bad and not affect the lean channel. Again, I am no amp tech so check with the experts.

Comment

Tubes don't take drops or being thrown around well. More than likely one or more have to be replaced. You can start with replacing all the power tubes. They generally are more prone to taking drops badly than the preamp tubes.
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Tubes can also take more damage if they are shaken or dropped while HOT... an amp that has been on for awhile would appreciate a small cool-down period before it gets tossed around.

Pete

Comment

I was comeing back from practice and I unloaded my stuff and I had my head in it's case(one of those Marshall bags with the wheels) and It was on its side or long ways up.

My friend came out and tried to be cool and went ot grab it real fast and the wheels rolled out from under the head and the top end fell. I guess that was enough to do something.

I'll start with the power tubes and go fron there.

Comment

He could really be cool and help pay to fix it then! Most of my friends play so I don't have to tell them, but if it's someone that doesn't
            I tell them don't try to help wthout asking, you could damage something unintentionally. Having seen well-meaning people drop guitars and snap the headstocks of other peoples' guitars, I've always been conscious of that.

Have you checked it to see if some of the tubes are actually loose? The impact could've jarred something loose, you may pop in back in and get lucky.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Rich,

Well unfortunately , I live here for free some of the time and pay very little rent when I do pay, so I don't feel right asking him to pay to fix it.

I poped in some other power tubes and It still had noise but wasn't as bad, so I'm thinking that maybe it was the tubes and something else.

I' am having some weird noises with it when my stuff in my rack is in the loop too and there is nothing wrong with anything in the rack, I checked it all out, so I'm thinking there is a problem somewhere with the FX loop too.

Comment

Did you try new pre-amp tubes as well? Or only the power tubes??

Comment

Jason,

Just the power tubes, I didn' have any extra pre amps to try. I'm taking it to the tech tommorow.

Comment

Working...
                  X