Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohms question

Hi !

I currently have a Peavey 4x12 cab, and the inputs are for Mono at 16 ohms and Stereo at 8 ohms. I want to buy a Mosvalve 1160 power amp (Solid State), but I do not know if I can run this with my cab? Will it cause any damage? Should I connect it to the Mono 16 ohms input? I have only had tube power amps before, and have always matched the ohms, but I dont know if I can use this power amp with my current cab. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Michael

Re: Ohms question

the marshall should have a 16 ohm out.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Sorry, I should have been more clear, this is a Tube Works Mosvalve 1160, not a Marshall Mosvalve....sorry about that.

Comment

That amp 80W per side into 4 ohms...

I'd connect it the stereo 8 ohm way... But, you still won't be impedance matched. I'm not sure if that is a major issue or not. Considering 4 into 8, I'd say you could run it at lower levels safely.

I am thinking that you don't wanna run a 8 ohm out into a 4 or 2 ohm load as that is too much of a load, But I believe an 4ohm out into an 8ohm load is acceptable with solid state stuff... I'm not positive though... Maybe some one that remembers will chime in.

If you want it officially right, you may look to see what the impedence is on the individual speakers in the cab and see if they are 4 ohm speakers, then you could rewire that cab...

Comment

Thanks Cleveland, much appreciated!

Comment

I've been told you can run INTO a higher impendence but never lower...ex. 8(amp) 16 cab....good. 16 (amp) 8 cab....bad.

Comment

A lower impedence will allow an amp to run louder since it has less resistance in the circuit. IE it runs more wide open if you will... All amps will have a lowest that they can run. Running them lower than the recommended OHm's will damage the amplifier. The Mosvalve 1160 is a Stereo amp so it is basicly 2 amps in one. I would run it stereo into the cab since each side should be able to do 8 OHms without a problem.

Matt

Comment

Working...
              X