X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo boost for a single channel amp

Riddle me this Batman....
    Here is the amp:
    Single channel master volume tube head, no effects loop.
    (Soldano Atomic 16, Astroverb for instance)
    Here is what I need:
    Semi Clean
    Heavy Rhythm
    Solo boost (lead channel)

I have the gain dimed out and if I roll the volume down on my guitar I can get the semi-clean and if I dime it out I get the heavy rhythm.
    How do I get a solo boost?

There are only 2 ways that I know of:
    1. Have an effects loop installed and put a preamp in the loop.
    2. Use the amp clean and rely on stomp boxes for distortion and boost.
    Is there another way?

Re: Solo boost for a single channel amp

Easy - get a Fulltone Fulldrive II and use it for 'clean boost' only, especially if you're happy with the tone of the amp...or just use the boost function of that pedal. Either way, that pedal kicks ass and is super versatile.

Steve E

Comment

But if I am using the gain of the amp wouldn't the fulltone just add another stage of gain and not boost the volume at all?

Comment

John,

Why not get a Boss Super Overdrive SD-1 and set the Level to 1 o'clock, Tone to 12 o'clock (nuetral), and Drive to 10 o'clock. Use it for a lead boost without adding to much distortion, just a nice level boost.

R

Comment

Yeah, what Ralph said. Any OD pedal will work fine, as they're made to be used into an already overdriven amp. If you set your amp on clean, then you'll need to rely on a distortion pedal instead of just one for overdrive. I've got a DOD Juice Box OD pedal that I sometimes use in front of my amp to give me a boost, it's got its own treble and bass controls so I can color the sound a little more if needed (but most of the time I keep them neutral), and the gain and level controls work great for adding just a tiny boost or full on shred when needed.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a vintage Rat Pedal and a Boss GE-7. I guess I could try dialing down the gain on the Rat and boosting only the level. I wonder if the GE-7 will do it. I was thinking about getting a DOD YJM308 or a DOD 250.

Comment

I would use the GE-7 if you like your tone just leave the frequencies flat and turn the level up on it, that will work.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I think you can get enough flexibility out of what you have. You could set the EQ for a boost as it'll drive each frequency up to 15db + or -. You can use the EQ setup to be always on for a heavy rhythm, off for clean..then use the ProCo for your lead boost OR... just use either the EQ or the ProCO for just the lead boost.

I used to use a similar setup w/ a different amp but I had an MXR 6 band inline on all the time.
                When I wanted the amp to clean up to a semi clean/clean, I rolled back the vol on my guitar and pulled back the mids on the eq. Then I had a boost (Microamp) for solos. For the heavier stuff, I left the EQ to a heavy rhythm with a 'A' mid boosted curve using the microamp for boost on solos.

Comment

I tried a GE-7, a Rat pedal and a few other overdrives and compressor pedals that I have and non of them worked. Here is what happened in every case with the amp dialed in for perfect distortion and the ability to roll back the guitar volume and get a nice semi-clean out of it.
                  When I activate any of the pedals I get no increase in volume at all. All I get is an increase in gain and a change in tone depending on how I have the pedals tweaked. No matter what the setting is on any of the pedals the best I was able to get was a barely noticable increase in presence but not nearly enough to be considered or used for a solo boost. Plenty of noise though and tons more gain. Damn... that Rat pedal rocks the house. It is so 80's sounding and so tweakable. Very modded Marshall sounding. Any suggestions on my dilemma?

Comment

Hitting the frontend of a gained out amp with ANYTHING will NOT increase your volume enough to make a solo cut through in a live situation.
                    You need a drastic volume boost. Loop and preamp (or cut, actually) is the only way to go.

Comment

Chuck,

Just curious why. My good friend has been playing live (for up to 2500 people) for 18 years and uses exactly what I described.

R

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                        But if I am using the gain of the amp wouldn't the fulltone just add another stage of gain and not boost the volume at all?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually - not at all. If you use it in the "comp cut" mode with the volume knob pulled out - set the gain flat, all you get is clean volume boost, no gain added whatsoever...and you get an enormous amount of volume if needed.

Steve E

Comment

Then he either has a) a soundman to raise his volume through the frontend, or b0 is not using a high gain distorted amp.
                          I too have tried this and seen many others use, for example, a Marshall JCM with the gain on ten, and a tube screamer for solo boosts, and while I can see the guitarist step on the pedal, I cannot hear any difference in volume out the front end, and if its a two guitar band, the soloist is lost in the mix.
                          A high gain amp will only distort more by being hit with ANY kind of boost. If the amp is NOT being pushed all that hard at the preamp, then you'll have some overhead and hear a volume difference.

Comment

A friend of mine uses a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster and a Mesa V-Twin pedal into a Sovtek M50 head. Sounds gooood. I have been wanting to buy that same setup into my JCM800. Covers many sounds well. Do you guys think the SD Pickup booster is what JG's looking for? Here's a review

http://www.allthingsstrat.com/2003%2...ws/booster.htm

How different is this than the pedal TwisterAmps built?
                            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

He is probably using the pedal on his Mig for distortion. I am using my amps distortion(gain). If I set the amp on clean and use a distortion pedal and a preamp pedal I can get as much boost as I want from the preamp pedal but I want to use the distortion from the amp. I figure the only way to do it is have an effects loop installed and put a preamp in the loop.

Comment

Working...
                              X