Aphex Guitar Xciter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aphex Guitar Xciter

Has anyone used this pedal version of the Aural Exciter? I need something that will fit on my pedalboard. I was looking at the BBE half-rackspace units, but they seem to be only available with RCA connectors and not intended for guitar use, and the old BBE pedals are impossible to find. Just wondering if anyone has tried this new Aphex. It looks like it'd be pretty handy as a DI box too.
    sigpic

Re: Aphex Guitar Xciter

I have one. I haven't used a BBE so I can't compare the two, bu the Aphex pedal does work. It didn't seem to do to much when I had it hooked up to my Line 6 Flex II. I sold my Line 6 a couple of months ago, and got a Peavey XXL instead. I recently re-hooked it up to that amp, and it definately works better with that amp. I use it in the effects loop before my G-Major. I can hear a difference when it is switched on and off. It also has a true bypass.

The only problem I have with it, is that to install/replace the battery, you have to unscrew the whole back of the unit off. Also Aphex recommends that if you are using battery power, you should unplug the cable from the input of the unit whenever you are not using it. I forgot to do that the other night, and when I came back to use the thing last night, the battery was dead. I don't know if I left it switched on or not though.

One good thing about using AC power with this box is that it'll accept anything from +7 to +12 volts DC as long at the adapter polarity matches. (Now I just gotta find a spare adapter)

Hope that helps.

Comment

I've got one of the little BBE 264 units with the RCA jacks on it, and the converters to convert them to standard 1/4" jacks. Works just fine for guitar, and I don't personally hear much if any difference between it and my BBE 362. It's just laying around unused, just in case my other BBE dies. If you decide you might want one of these, but you're having trouble finding them, let me know. I'd just need to hook it up and make sure it's working alright.

Otherwise, I believe I'd read a review on the new Aphex units in a guitar magazine not too long ago and, as I remember, the review said they did a great job.

Stu

Comment

Stu, does that BBE use a wall wart? And do you use it in an effects loop or in front of the preamp? I use my board with a number of amps, some with no effects loop, and was curious if that diminishes the usefulness of the BBE or similar devices.

If you're not using the BBE, I'm interested, as the last time I saw one for sale, I let it get away. I never thought about the RCA-to-1/4" adapters.
        sigpic

Comment

I'll zip you an email on it... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Stu

Comment

Working...
          X