EL34 Big Bottle Tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL34 Big Bottle Tubes

I don`t hear any talk about these, and I just like them so much better than the standard EL34`s. I think they give a tighter bottom end and more headroom when the amp is cranked. I think they are a palm muters dream [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Anybody else use them, I am sold forever on them, oh and I use the EH models. I run them in my VHT Pittbull CL-100. Jack.

Re: EL34 Big Bottle Tubes

VH is said to use sylvania big bottle EL34. They are great sounding tubes.

Comment

Hey Slayer!
      I had made a comment on this subject you made about the EH EL34's on an earlier thread, I can't remember what catagory it was in or topic it was. Anyway!, I was wondering if you were speaking of the EH 6CA7/EL34 or the standard model EH EL34? I have a quad set of the EH EL34's in an older Engl 2X50 power amplifier and was wondering if you knew the difference in sound between these two tubes? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I love EL34's but was looking for a little more bottom end and clairity! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanks!

Comment

I was refering to the Big Bottle EL34/6CA7 tubes, they are monstrous sounding, just a huge sound. If you like palm muting bottom end, these babies are for you, they are much bigger than the standard EL34, they dwarf them in size and sound. I would say though, you loose a little treble with them, but not enough to deter me from getting them, actually they have less mids also, they have a more Scooped sound, big lows, moderate highs, and low/moderate mids, perfect for my style, I say give em a try. My amp is biased at 39 so I have a matched quad, and will always buy them as long as they sell them. I can`t speak for the other brands BB EL34`s, but I can say the EH ones are superb [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I am going to order another set for backup, you never know when they will go on you. Jack.

[ August 29, 2003, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: slayer ]

Comment

Well, EH's are modeled after the sylvania's, but I've also heard good things about the EH big bottles.

Comment

The GT E34Ls have a higher plate dissipation - i.e. more headroom/wattage and you can bias them hotter.

Not sure on the EH 'big bottle' but avoid the Ei ones... they don't take as much voltage or bias current as regular EL34s and die pretty quickly. If you use them, you'll have to cool the bias quite a bit. On my Egnater TOL, I put the Ei's in there, and they sounded good. I also had to drop my bias by 10ma per tube since they were starting to get the plates too hot.

Just fyi.

Pete

Comment

Sounds Good!,..I'll have to try the EH 6CA7/EL34's! Have you guys ever tried the EH 12AX7 per amp tubes? They're made by Sovtek but are modeled after vintage style tubes. I think they sound way better than the Sovtek 12AX7WA's or the WB's!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I use the EH 12AX7`s and they are great, but in a very high gain amp(like my VHT Pittbull CL-100), I like to use a 12AU7 or 12AY7(now I can`t remember which) in the 1st position to tone down the treble a little, but it all depends on your amp and tone tastes, but the EH 12AX7`s are a great rounded pre-amp tube, but try a 12AU7 or 12AY7 in the first position along with the 12AX7 and let me know [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

A 12AU7 or AY7 shouldn't cut high end as much as it cuts gain. EH 12ax7s are known for being 'dark' sounding - the spiral filament winding that gives them a lower noise also seems to cut high end by just a touch. If you want a brighter tube, try a JJ or a chinese tube there.

Pete

Comment

That's what I like about the EH 12Ax7's! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] They have a "Darker" and "Fatter" tone than the Sovtek 12AX7WB's! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

That's what I like about the EH 12Ax7's! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] They have a "Darker" and "Fatter" tone than the Sovtek 12AX7WB's! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X