Reverb Problem/Amp Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb Problem/Amp Advice

The reverb recently just stoped working on my JCM900 combo. There is no horrible noise or anything I just get no reverb when I turn the knob (it happens on both channels). Any ideas whats wrong or how I can fix it?!? Also does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap easily availible 1x12 amp? I'd prefare tube but I wouldn't mind solid state. All the new amps seem to be selling themselves on **** ultra downtuned nu-metal sounds but I'm looking for a more fat crunchy sort of distorsion.

Thanks

Re: Reverb Problem/Amp Advice

Sounds like you have a bad driver tube or a blown fuse. I not sure on the Marshall but it "MIGHT" be the 1st or 2nd pre-amp tube. I would check that 1st then the fuse before you buy a new amp.
    www.kiddhavok.com
    www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

I'm not sure how it's connected on a 900..but check the leads from both sides of the pan. Some of those just have rca jacks. Could be a bad connection. Friend of mine makes a nice reverb pedal..heavy duty, well constructed. Could probably snag one for 50.00 or so less his asking price if you are interested.Van amps Reverb

[ August 26, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

You might also try spraying the reverb plugs and jacks with contact cleaner, then plugging in and unplugging them several times (amp OFF, of course). Then try it again. Or you could open the reverb tank and see if a spring came loose, and reattach it if so.

For a cheap decent 112 combo, look for a recent Peavey Transtube, Bandit
        Express or Studio 112. All sound good, are dirt cheap used and will also drive an extension cab. Should be easy to get any of those under $200 in the US. If you've got a bit more, like $250 to $300 you could probably grab a tube Ultra 112 combo,
        which is quite an amp for that price range. 2 6L6s, 4 12AX7s, and 3 channels from clean to crunch to Ultra distortion, and a Resonance switch that tunes your bass to classic, 80s metal or thrash like bass tightness. The Ultra is similar to the XXX but is not EQ'ed for the gnu-metal sound.

[ August 26, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I agree with lerx. I had an ampeg v-2 head that the reverb just suddenly died and all I had to do was clean the "RCA" style plugs and the sockets that the plugs go into and it fixed it perfectly!

Dave->
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yeah, I love the (toxic) smell of contact
            cleaner in the morning! Smells like I just got a "dead" piece o'gear for next to nothing, and revived it with 25 cents
            worth of spray cleaner. I have done that so many times that it's a shock when it DOESN'T work!

Take the stuff outside to spray it though
            because it IS some toxic stuff - and position yourself upwind when you spray!
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Sorry I know little to nothing about amps apart from how to turn them on. I've had the main fuse on the amp recently replaced and all the tubes including the 3 pre-amp ones. What is and where would I find the pan? and where are the reverb plugs and jacks? I thought the 3 preamp tubes were used for pre-amp gain are they also used for the reverb? And also is the fuse was blown wouldn't the amp not turn on at all and not just the reverb would go? sorry about all the questions but I really am hopeless when it comes to technical stuff.

thanks

Comment

Chances are, the reverb is not tube driven as it is on older amps and boutique amps. It is probably solid state and it is probably just a loose connection. If the mains fuse was blown, you are correct, the amp wouldn't turn on. Since the amp works and the reverb used to work, let's just assume that it's a simple loose connection for starters.

Ok, first unplug the amp till you become comfortable with where things are.

The reverb pan is about 12"x5" and probably laying at the bottom of the cabinet underneath the speaker. It may be covered with some tolex that snaps off.

Off the end of that pan, there should be a couple wires with ends that look like ones you would find on your stereo or VCR..if you find these and you are to take them off to clean them *make a note of what goes where*
                You can mark one with masking tape.. left/right whatever.

I do not have my combo here, so I cannot make comparison but I'll try to help ya anyways.
                These leads plug into the back of the amp chassis, or go into the chassis if so..again, check to see if they haven't come loose.

When you find the pan and the leads, let us know what you're dealing with and we can try to walk ya through it if you haven't solved it on your own.

[ August 27, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

If your lookin for a cheap 1x12 combo I highly recomend the laney tube fusion amps (the 3 channel ones the 2 channels one are crappy)

Rar!

Comment

Working...
                  X