GIVE ME YOUR OPINION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIVE ME YOUR OPINION

Please tell me what you guys think of the emg 89 as opposed to the 81.Thanks Paul.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR OPINION

The 89 is an 85, but with coil-splitting. Actually it's two SAs under an 81-sized cover. You can split the pickup and select which coil you want active (front or rear) not that there's any noticeable tonal difference between the two IMO.

The 81 is high-output, the 89/85 is medium output and warmer - better for Classic Metal like Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Ozzy, etc. The 81 is better for Metallica, Megadeth, etc etc.

I personally prefer the 81 over the 89/85, but then it depends on what you play. I had an 85 in a Warrior, and that body style demands an 81 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I've got an 81 in my Soloist now, but if I wanted singly-coil bridge tones or warmer Classic Metal tones I'd put an 89 or 85 in it.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: GIVE ME YOUR OPINION

I have an 89 in my alder Hamer Californian, and while I still prefer passive Duncans most of the time, I will say that the 89 definitely sounds good. It doesn't have quite the scooped-mid tone that most folks associate with the 81. Seems like a good all-around pickup if you want to go the active route.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X