High Output pups...should I stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Output pups...should I stop?

Hey, I've usually swayed towards getting high output pups...I switched out the JB in my Jackson for EMGs, and then when I needed those repaired, I got SD Live Wires, and sold the new EMGs I got back from the company. So, now I'm thinking the Live Wires are too unversatile, and are basically, an all out, metal pickup, and then a high output "clean" pickup...and I'm considering changing those out. I was thinking about the X2N and the Air Norton, but I'm wondering if even the X2N is going to be too much output, and that I should stop swaying towards the high output pups, and let my triaxis work for the gain I need. I think Petrucci uses a Tone Zone, does he not? He has nice gain, and I just wonder if I should settle for a smoother pickup, or if the X2N will be okay, versatile enough to be able to get me rock tones without being too harsh, and metal tones without being overbearing. If you can make sense out of the jargon, any help you could offer would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Nick

Re: High Output pups...should I stop?

Heh...go back to the JB! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Tone Zones are alright. Can't comment on the X2N, but I've heard they're pretty over-the-top. I'm pretty much a JB guy though. Custom Custom is a good one too, and if you're looking for something medium output, I've had good luck with the Duncan Full Shred, and Dimarzio PAF Pro.

Personally, I'm more of a med/high output pickup guy - I'd rather the pickup do the work over the amp, but that's just me. I'd rather ratchet back on the gain of the amp, than not have enough.

Comment

I think the Tone Zone kicks ass... then again, Chris already knows that, since I traded him my JB for it! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] And the guitar that had the JB/59 combo now has two EMG 81s in it and sounds even better.
      I've also used an X2N for years, and that has more gain and blows away the 81. I think the Live Wire has even more gain that the X2N.

Petrucci uses a Steve's Special which has a scooped midrange sound. This pickup was named after Steve Blucher from DiMarzio and not Steve Vai as some people have commented on before. I've never tried one, but hear it's pretty good.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

imo I would get away from those duncan live wire pups.I had them and they were nothing but noise and unwanted feedback.They dont compare to the emg.emg are much smoother and melodic sounding.If you dont want to go with them try the x2n its a kick ass pup,much better than the live wires.

Comment

The X2n is hot. Great tone from it though. Very mid scooped sound. Highs are very present and the lows are good but not mud.

I also use duncan Invaders which are a bit more mid and High driven.

I agree that I would rather have lots of gain from my pickup and just bring the volume back a bit on my guitar or lower the gain on my amp. Too much is always better then not enough! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah, I understand about not wanting to rely on your amp for all your gain, and having at least a semi-hot pup, but with the LiveWires, like you said, it seems to be a lot of excess noise and feedback, and just a way over the top, out of control feel. Now damn...what do I do...buy cables, new pups, or neither? I don't know, I've been thinking about the X2N and the Air Norton...it should probably be a worthy investment, I'm hoping. Plus, these will be the first passive pups I've had since the JB...

Cheers,
            Nick

Comment

Nick,

I use the ToneZone and an Air Norton. I love them, and although they aren't really mentioned too much on the board, a couple of the guys from here who have come over and played or heard my gear really liked them and were really impressed by the Air Norton.

It is the best neck pup I have ever used. It's great clean AND it sings with distortion. I also sold my soloist to Adrenaline Junkie with those pups in it and I think he was even suprised by them.

Hopefully some of these guys will chime in [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

If you want something with good pinch harmonics, but nead a little more low end, maybe try the Duncan Custom 5, it falls tonally between the 59` and the JB, seams to be getting more popular by the day, I really liked it better than the 59` and the JB, I played one in a Hamer USA standard, it rocked, especially on an original Marshall Plexi dimed, total Acid Rock [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

C5's sound Great! They have a little less top end than a JB and have less mids, but have a bigger/ fatter low end. C5's sound the best in any all Mahogany/Maple top type guitar! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Go high gain! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    Til now X2N is my favorite pu,but now I'm enjoin the EMG81 in my Archtop (right back from my luthier, I've had to change the lsr,2 of them was broken:\ now I've shaller lock tuners) tought I did not like it on my old bananez. The JB on myt RR1 is pretty good, but I prefer much more X2N and the 81,so,in the end,high gain pu is no bad! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

try.
                      duncan distortion - a great often overlooked pup. sounds so good in my fusion xl. if you like the jb but it just doesn't quite do it, ty the distortion

81 - also a great tried and trusted pup.

duncan custom custom - true guitar vioced pup. great mids to make up for your scooped amp settings. or blazing hot if you use mids in your sound.

dismarsio super distortion and super 3 distorion. - classic metal pups. the sound of the good old days.

i recommend all of them. try different ones with different woods. and remember that both dismarzio and duncan make floyd rose spaced pups.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                      X