new amp! (5150)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new amp! (5150)

Well. You could pull two tubes out (Pull the two outside tubes) and make it a 60 watt head. This way you will get it to break up earlier at lower volumes. That will be your cheapest way because it is free. And then you will have a spare set of tubes for replacement when the other two inside ones are on there way out.

Re: new amp! (5150)

well it already is 60 watt so that would make it 30 watt?
    which tubes should i pull? pre or poweramp?

Comment

Oh. I thought it was a 120 watt combo. Dont pull any tubes on it then. If it were a 120 you would pull the power tubes. Well.... AYou could put a pillow in front of it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] lol

Sorry I could not be of more help.

You could always try a Marshall Power Soak but they are not cheap.
      [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

too much power????? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The best way would be a Hotplate, Weber Mass, Dr Z Airbrake, or a Powerbrake.

Comment

ok tnx guys i'll look into that
            it really sounds awsome...i love the clean sound!
            and finnaly i can really hear the difference between my KE3 and my san dimas Dinky [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

They aren't cheap though! Good Luck.

Comment

new amp! (5150)

Just got a 5150combo [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                awsome amp!
                the low-end is really juggajuggajugga [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                it does have a bit (a lot) to much power for my small room though...does anybody know an affordable solution?
                here are two pics

Comment

i know
                  the guy i bought the amp from was using an Alesis midiverb to keep the volume down a bit... maybe i'll look into some rack gear when some more money comes in
                  until that day my neighbours will suffer from headaches [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

You could buy a pair of THD Yellowjackets that will plug into your power tube sockets and convert it from 6L6 to EL84s
                    which are half the wattage. They go used on Ebay here for under $100 and are small enough you might not even get hurt too bad on trans-Atlantic postage. Besides being lower in wattage they break up sooner too, compared to El34s or 6L6s, so
                    your sweet spot of sound is that much lower. You don't have to rebias the amp,
                    and you can change back to the stock tubes in the same time it takes to change tubes period.

There are similar devices by other makers
                    but the Yellowjackets are best-known. Some versions adapt to specific tube types, but there's a version that adapts to all tube types, so make sure the one you get works with the tube type your amp
                    came with.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Those yellowjackets are a novel idea, but they will not work with the 5150 combo. There is barely enough room to fit the tubes in their sockets, between the chassis and the top of the speaker cab. There simply wouldn't be enough room for a plug in adapter, even if you wanted to use one. This is a great sounding amp, but it is not a practice amp, suitable for bedroom volumes.

Comment

it really sounds awsome...i love the clean sound!
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that was a joke right [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

You want a 5150 to break up more????

Geez!!!!! Are you fargin crazy? Hahaha...

Comment

Want the sound to break up easier at lower volumes? Use a razor blade or knife on your speaker cones! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ August 24, 2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

the sound gets better when you put the postgain at 3 or something, but thats just too damn loud for at home..thats why i asked the question...
                              but ive found my sound at a resonable volume already and i love it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] great amp

and yeah i like the cleans, the cleans on the combo are better than on the head..
                              and keep in mind my previous amp was a Peavey Envoy [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X