Old Laney Pro Tubes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Laney Pro Tubes...

I used to have a couple of these back in the mid eighties, but between father time and all the drugs I did back then, I don't remember if they sounded good, or I just thought they did. Either way, anyone here use these?

Wax on. I'm thinking about picking one up to have as an inexpensive amp after the SLO is gone. Let me know if they really are cool...

Re: Old Laney Pro Tubes...

Excellent info and ideas...thanks gents! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

One of my picks for a crazy cheap amp is the Peavey VTM series. I've seen em as low as $150... One channel, but they sound like a modded marshall. Also have dip switches in the front to tailor the tone - one adds compression, one adds highs, one changes the mid control, etc. I like the VTMs better than the Laneys for a cheap but good sounding amp. If you can live with one channel, the VTM is really hard to beat.

Pete

Comment

Ah yes, I forgot about the VTMs. I do recall them sounding damn good, and there are bunches of them in local pawnshops around here.
        I'll have to give one a spin.
        I can live with one channel as my gigging days are probably no mo.

Hows about the newer Laneys?

Comment

Yeah, I have a 50 with the second preamp and a modded 100MV with just one preamp. Some guys use these and it depends upon what you use in line. There are guys who run them clean with a DS-1 in front and BBe and get a good sound. (I think Mulder1966 does this)

I know the 100watt could use new caps,a retube and a bias so I can't really comment until it gets one but I had another non modded 100MV and it was a good low buck amp but definitely not an SLO gain monster. The 50 has fresh Svets el34's and the cascading preamp 2, it gets nasty and has a decent gain stage.

If you are looking for a Laney to replace Soldano..you might think to invest in a newer Laney that are usually going for a 100-150 more.
          The GH50L is reputed to be a good head altho I haven't any experience with one first hand. There's one on ebay you can check out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=10171

Seems like there are always a couple on there.

Comment

I used a 50 watt Laney AOR Pro Tube lead head thru a`70 Marshall 4X12 slant cab w/ G12H-30s and a late`60s Marshall straight cab w/ greenbacks for about five years... from around`87 to`91. This was a pretty killer sounding setup that I used first with a Thrash Metal band then with a Classic Rock band. This setup sounded great and worked flawlessly in both situations! I belive you can pickup these heads for as cheap as $200. now! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X