my first marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first marshall

went out to check out a guitar store today. the first one i had never been to. not a bad store, just not the kind of place for me. then i went to guitar etc. i've been there before and i must say they have some nice gear. they did get a used SL-1 in a tobacco burst in. just not sure i'd give them a grand for it. but anywho, i walk in and the sales guy asks me the usual if he could help me question. i told him i had no amp anymore and i was in need of one. so off to the amp room we went. i told him i wanted something kinda small that i could still used if i found someone to jam with. well, he showed me this marshall and told me to grab a guitar. after aboot 15 minutes of playing the amp i walked out with it. a marshall MG100 DFX. even though it only has a 12 inch speaker, it still sounds pretty darn good to me.

Garry [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: my first marshall

Congrats! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] If it's a 100watt amp it probably has an external speaker out
    so you could add a 2x12 or 4x12 cab for
    more bass and level later. Check and see.

That amp is from Marshall's Korean-made
    MG series, which is the cheapest series.
    I have an MG30RCD which is a 30-watt 1 10" earlier version (just reverb) which is a decent practice amp. Don't expect it to keep up with a 100-watt tube amp,
    or maybe not even a Peavey Transtube Bandit, but it'll probably serve you well
    for awhile. Treat it VERY gently; Marshall's build quality is not the sturdiest and if you dropped it 6 inches to the ground something could break.

If you want something you could gig with without it breaking, I'd go see if I could swap it for a Bandit 112, which is much sturdier and probably sounds a lot better too, other than the built in DFX
    of the Marshall.

If you want something to sit in your living room or bedroom that says "Marshall" on it, you'll probably be happy with it until you jam with someone
    who has a good amp, or until you try to jam with a drummer and can't be heard.

Sorry if this sounds sour to you, but you
    will learn soon enough anyway. What did it cost, $350 or $400? You can get a lot
    more amp than that for the $ if it doesn't have to have a Marshall logo.

My .02 worth.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Dang Rich,
      Way to piss in the dude's Wheaties!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

it's all good. i had to sell my 1x12 bandit off before i went to iceland. then after i got back to the states, i needed an amp. and this one will do just fine. i'm not looking to start a band or anything with it, i'm just looking for something that will make noise in my guitar room. maybe even jam along with someone else. nothing fancy. truth is, i haven't really been playing guitar regularly for a few years now. hopefully this will get me back into it some.

and no, it doesn't have to say marshall on it. i just thought it was the better sounding practice style amp that i've heard in awhile. anywhoo, the fingertips are feeling beatin up so back to it.

Garry [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry man, didn't mean to sound so much like a partypooper! I started off being
          upbeat, then started having a few amp story flashbacks that culminated with
          recalling pulling my VS40 out of the cabinet and seeing the "build quality".
          It started cutting out the FIRST time I took it out to jam! It WAS a used amp though.

Anyway, for light duty I'm sure it'll
          last awhile, and if you dig the sound that's what counts.

And Ron, thanks for making me feel even more Grinchlike than I did! It's a strange world where YOU're my conscience! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
            Dang Rich,
            Way to piss in the dude's Wheaties!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OMG thats PRICELESS!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ron, i vote you funniest board member! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Looks aren't everything, Larry. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Ouch...

Comment

You got a good sound'n amp there, I just exclusively demo'd almost all the new MG's for my friend and I must say they're alot better than the old ones. Hopefully you'll enjoy the amp.

Comment

Working...
                  X