Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decided that I want a 5150, but which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decided that I want a 5150, but which one?

I've made a rule with myself to never buy any piece of equipment unless I've played it or got a good review from you guys. I've gone to every guitar shop I could get to and couldn't find a 5150, not even a combo! Idaho sucks, especially when you don't have a driver's license.

I went looking for a 5150 and realized that there are different models. (I'm shooting for a halfstack, FYI) Wich one has the most bottom end and a good mid-scooped sound?

I bought a Cradle of Filth CD (damnation and a day) and was blown away at the way their guitars sounded and compostion style. If anyone happens to have this CD, pay close attention to their sound. There tone has this distinctive 'rip' in it (I noticed it especially on track 6). It's like a very fine grind, like sticking a stick in a bike tire. It's hard to explain, but if anyone understands my description, some possilbe redirection in choice of amplifier would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry it's so wordy!

[ July 10, 2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: metallicarocks ]

Re: Decided that I want a 5150, but which one?

Other than the combo, there are the 5150 and 5150 II. Avoid the 5150 II as it has
    sacrificed tone to have more features.
    get a 5150, and NOT the II.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

For the recording of DAMNATION AND A DAY Paul Allender (guitarist for COF) used a Dual rectofier. and get a 5150 blockletter head.
      Jay

Comment

Well, both the 5150 and the 5150II are very nice. It's been said that the early 5150's with "EVH" written block letters in the corner are the best sounding ones. I've owned a 5150 and it was VERY nice, and i was dumb to get rid of it. I would say go with the 5150. But, if you absolutly need the EQ on both channels, then go with the 5150II.

Comment

That "rip" tone on the CoF album is signiture "Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier" tone. The only amp I've heard that sounds close to that charachter is the 5150. (Both of which are very closely related to the Soldano SLO, which has a similar type of "ripping" sound to the tone, but it's much smoothter.)

Get the regular 5150 - the II isn't worth the difference, especially if you don't play clean much.

Mike
          Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I think that the Peavey XXX is even better suited for the style of music that you play than the 5150 or the 5150II and best of all it has 3 channels.

Comment

I have both a 5150 and a Dual Rec. The 5150 has more gain and the eq is a bit more sesitive but the build qiality of the rectifier is much much better and the sound is more articulate than the 5150... I like both though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Also, The rectalfrier cuts through much better so if you are playing in a band situation then this IS the choice.

[ July 11, 2003, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

I'd say the 5150s are pretty well-built too.

Remember John (CMZ) posting a pic of his wrecked car? He had 2 5150 heads in the back that flew 30 feet out of the car to land on the curb, and both worked like a
                charm afterward! Now the Mesa may BE better built, but the 5150 is a sturdy amp without a doubt!
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

thanx for your input.

The reason that I was directed to a 5150 was price for tone. I know that it's not possible to get a cheap mesa. My budget is limited to maybe $700 for a halfstack. Is 5150 still the best bet? Any other suggestions?

Thank you for all of your help, you don't know how much it means! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Get the 5150, man. Nice amp. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X