Interesting modeling Tube amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting modeling Tube amp.

Hey guys I just stumbled across this on the Pod site. http://atomicamps.com/

I think you could fit any modeler of most brands in there also. And the Tube power amp is the key too the modelers sound authenticity. IMO.
    I wonder if Twisteramps makes a Power amp specifically for use with other preamps such as the XT or the Vamp2 or the J-station or any other preamp? I would like too see one with swappable tubes(EL34,EL84,6L6,etc..) for different tonal characteristics. Just a thought. Cool idea though.

Ric

Re: Interesting modeling Tube amp.

Yep. I tested one of my poweramps pretty extensively with a Pod XT and the output from a Vetta head... it sounded GREAT with both of them.

Looks really cool what the 'atomic' people did... I was trying to figure out a way to do something just like that! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Only thing that scares me about that XT in their pic is that the XTs run really hot anyways... not real sure how well covering one up like that would work in the long term.

Pete

Comment

How about installing a thermoelectric cooling element to keep the temp down?
      Or even a fan?
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
        How about installing a thermoelectric cooling element to keep the temp down?
        Or even a fan?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Fan idea is a good one, just has to be implemented correctly so you don't add noise and interference with the tube amp. Also from the number of screws, it looks like putting your Pod in there is a bit of a commitment. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

If they're going to use a POD as the "head" they should have gone with a POD Pro... But then I guess it would look pretty much line a Line 6 amp!

Comment

Using the Pro versions of either POD or xt would dramatically increase the price, too. I can't get over how much more Line6 charges for a rackmount version of the POD--jeez, it's the same modeler with a couple of extra outputs, and certainly not worth the several hundred dollars extra.

Comment

Hey Pro-Fusion, those extra outputs are digital outputs. And it's not a trivial thing to convert a analog into a digital signal.
              You need a converter chip and a special circuit to feed this converter chip.
              There are some converters who only do analog to digital convertion and they can cost over $3000 for a 2 channel version.
              If those Line6 converters are any decent those couple of hundred dollars aren't that much.
              For example a 8 channel Apogee converter can cost around $10000 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flo
              http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

The regular Pod XT comes with USB digital outs...

Pete

Comment

USB digital outs are nice if you wanna simply plug your POD into the computer.
                  However in the audio world digital outs like AES/EBU and S/PDIF are much better, for example if you wanna run your POD into a additional effect unit which has digital in/outs. Or you wanna route your pod signal through a digital mixer.

My main effort with this post was to show why the POD Pro is worth those couple hundred bucks then the POD. Many studios who use the POD have the Pro version simply because of it's rack case you can put it in the rack and don't have anything laying around and those multiple digital outs are a nice feature.
                  However i think for normal guitar players who just wanna record something through their soundcard a POD is a much better choice.

But i think it's neat that Line6 have given the XT USB digital outs. That way you can go around the converters of your soundcard which are horrible in the case of normal soundcards like soundblasters.

Flo
                  http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

But I believe that the internal signal path on a POD is already digital--instead, it's the regular POD analog outputs that need a D/A converter, not the other way around. I wouldn't think that a digital out on a POD would be that big a deal, really.

I think the Pro versions are nice and are probably worth more than the tabletop versions, but are they really worth nearly TWICE as much??? Personally, I don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                    X