Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it with guitarists always looking for more bass in their sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is it with guitarists always looking for more bass in their sound?

Woah! While It is all just personal preference, I'm a bass player, I play in a similar vein to "nu metal" albeit its a little more technical, and I love drop A. This is the same tuning Korn uses. I would say the main problem is clarity. Thats why I use an eq pedal that fattens the bass during the chorus or power sections, and while off, allows me to slap or do more complicated lines. And honestly, I hate guitars with tons of bass on them, thats my job!
    And while it takes 450 watts a side and a crossover to pull off, (I love Knocking beers off tables) I'd rather turn it down than be muddy. The bottom line for me is, whats appropriate for the playing venue, the band, and what does the music ask of you and your gear? When I go home and write prog rock I use a tele, on the neck setting with tons of mids and highs. My opinion on the smiley face eq setting is that its great if you practice by yourself, but not very practical in a live setting. Other than that, there are just as many blues guitarist killing our ears at clubs with their prescence and high eq knobs turned to 11! (I like the blues but I like my hearing too) Truth is, we all know what bad sound is when we are in the audience, its when we are on stage we get stupified.

Comment

I like a good bassy sludgey tone, like Woody Weatherman's of Corrosion of Conformity. Neo-Iommi!

Comment

My tone is pretty much 80's tone compilation of EVH and Tom Scholz with alot of me thrown in there. I use a bit of bass so the tone is full but I also use mids and treble too. One given toe won't sound the same to two differnt people so it's all subjective. But it also takes some one who knows how to use an amp properly and not just dime or scoop controls. To much bass will mud out just like to much distortion or gain will. My tone is unique but still full solid and clear with enough bass to get the point across with out being rumbly or farty.
        Just ask Word.
        Gil

Comment

Boxcar: That's nothing. You want a REAL sludge tone you need to check out Khanate, Burning Witch, Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, SunnO)))... hell, just go here: http://www.southernlord.com then download everything I mentioned. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

When I am playing death/grind I like quite a bit of bass, but not so much that my bass player gets lost in the mix. However, when I bust out the '65 Epi and start smashing open power chords, like the Southern Lord bands, I crank the bass and hit HUGE wide open two string chords, picked straight at the middle of the neck. DRONE!!!
            [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

heh. Earth and SunnO))) rock!
              i have to turn down the bass on my computer speakers all the way down to be able to listen to it.

Comment

If all you are going to do is bash the hell out of 3 or 4 cords in a song like they do in modern music, you have no need for any mid tones to compliment the actual riff or notes of your guitar.

Matt

Comment

Doom is by no means modern music. It is straight old Black Sabbath inspired sludge, meant to be played as slow as you can stomach it for people who are very high on something. Playing fast really has little place in doom metal, but that's not because doom players aren't good. I don't listen to doom for their technical prowess. I listen to doom when I want something that is going to shake my room with sheer heaviness.

Comment

Mariah I checked out all those bands last time you mentioned them....you are right, that is definitely some sludge! But I do like ol' Woody's tone a bit more, that's just me though.

Comment

you wanna hear hardcore go on mp3.com and check out oktober skyline

Comment

Working...
                      X