Rack problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack problems

Recently, I purchased [used] 2 Rockman units; a Rockman Chorus/Delay and a Rockman Sustainor. Here was my set-up BEFORE I bought the Rockman units:
    A Furman SPB-8 Stereo Pedal Board, ADA -1 Preamp. BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer, a dbx 166 Compressor Digitech DSP 25-XL Multi effects unit [which I`ve now replaced w/ the Rockman Chorus/Delay & Sustainor] and an ADA Microtube 200 power amp. Now, call me a "rack `tard" but I simply CANNOT figure out how to hook everything up! Everything is functioning as it should; everything lights up, etc. But I either get no sound, or a very tiny, weak sound that I KNOW isn`t right. SOMETHING isn`t hooked up right obviously, but I can`t figure out what!
    What I need to know is how they should be hooked up:
    (in no order)
    ADA: FX loop send/receive, output A and B.
    Rockman Sustainor: distortion/echo return, all return, send, output.
    Rockman Chorus/Delay: Stereo out-"processed" and "direct mono [out]", input.
    BBE 442A Sonic Maximizer: "In" and "Out" for both channel`s A & B.
    dbx 166 Compressor: Side 1 has Audio "In" and "Out" and Sidechain In. Side 2 is identical.
    ADA Microtube 200 Power Amp: Stereo inputs & outputs, as well as Mono in, Bridged out.

Could anyone help in here tell me how to connect this properly? I know how to tweak everything, but first I`ve gotta figure out how to get from point A to point B! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: Rack problems

Ooooookkkk [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Seriously, here's what ya do:

Guitar into dbx input (use this only for compressing clean tones, don't use enough to affect Distorted channels)
    dbx output to ADA MP-1 Input
    ADA MP-1 FX Send into Rockman Chorus/Delay In
    Chorus/Delay Out to Sustainor "Distortion/Echo Return"
    Sustainor Out to MP-1 Return
    MP-1 Output A & B to BBE Input A & B
    BBE Outputs to Microtube Inputs (if you are wanting ping-pong effects AND are using two cabs OR one 4x12 cab wired in stereo, use the Microtube's Stereo In/Out, otherwise, use the Mono in/Bridged out for just one mono cab).

OR you could leave the dbx out of the chain. The MP-1 has a decent tube-driven compressor, but you don't really get high volume power without it breaking up.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Don't try to hook eveything up at once. Just start adding the units in the order Newc just told you and stop adding if it stops working.

I think the effects loop connections are the most troublesome in racks... I still haven't been able to get my Carin Quad X through the effects loop of my Peavey TubeFex.

Comment

I agree with everything Newc said except hooking up the effects through the effects loop of the MP-1. I wouldn't use the MP-1's effects loop, it basically sucks and drains massive tone. I would hook up the effects serially, then go out from the effect unit into the BBE. Try it both ways and I think you'll notice it sounds better if you don't use the effects loop on the MP-1 at all.

Comment

The effects loop on the MP-1 is notorious for tone sucking... so much that there is a mod on www.ada-depot.com to correct it. I never use the loop on my MP-1. Don't get me wrong, the MP-1 is great, but the effects loop sucks (literally and figuratively).

Comment

Originally posted by redmanjj:
            The effects loop on the MP-1 is notorious for tone sucking... so much that there is a mod on www.ada-depot.com to correct it. I never use the loop on my MP-1. Don't get me wrong, the MP-1 is great, but the effects loop sucks (literally and figuratively).
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Haha! Redman and I posted the same exact thing at the same time......too funny [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry, it's www.adadepot.com

Comment

I just bought a BBE 422A. Would you stick it at the end of the chain, just before the poweramp, or between the MP-1 and the effects (Intellifex in this case)?

Comment

When I was using my MP-1 I always put the BBE after the effects and before the poweramp. I found that this gave it the best sound. Running the signal through another unit (i.e.- effects), regardless of the D/A converters, etc. always affects tone since its one more unit to cause signal degredation. Putting the BBE after the effects always sounded better to my ears.

Comment

I've found that running through the FX loop actually helps to remove some of the glassiness of the unit rather than going in series.

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for all the help! I bypassed the MP-1 fx loop; never used it anyway, as it`s always sounded like hell when I go thru it. I`m only using the Rockman chorus/delay at the moment; still fine tuning things, but I`m getting good results so far! Next I`ll hook up the Sustainor. Maybe run this into the MP-1 fx loop. Or would this work?

Comment

I recently got a Rockman Stereo Chorus on E-bay, so NOW my rig is:

Furman pedal board to ADA, ADA to BBE, BBE channel "B" to Rockman Stereo Chorus, BBE channel "A" out to Rockman Chorus/Delay, the "Processed Outs" on BOTH Rockman units to ADA Microtube 200 power amp. The dbx compressor is run through the ADA fx loop. Worked like a charm; didn`t put my guitar down for almost 3 hours! Yep, I`m happy!

Comment

Working...
                        X