V-Amp2 vs. POD, update and a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Amp2 vs. POD, update and a question

First off, thanks again to everyone who responded on my other thread. Okay so I went to Guitar Center on Sunday to try out the V-Amp2. They had it set up in the "effects corner" running through a Roland JC-60 (Don't ask me why??). So I ran through a few settings and thought it sounded decent, but nothing to write home about. Right below it, on the next shelf down, was the POD 2.0. So, I unplugged from the V-Amp and into the POD. I put the POD on the Modern Hi-Gain setting with delay/compression and was blown away! I couldn't believe what a great metal sound it had across a jazz type SS amp! I went back and forth between them, trying to replicate the POD's sound on the V-Amp and it just couldn't quite get there.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Since I know very little about either of these, is it possible that the V-Amp was set on a "wrong" cab simulation, or would it have made that much of a difference? Believe me, I REALLY wanted to love the V-Amp because of the bang for the buck and, besides, I keep reading that the V-Amp supposedly has better high gain sounds than the POD. That wasn't the case at all for me yesterday. I was also disappointed that the V-Amp didn't have a combined Compression/Delay setting, which is my favorite.

So... could there have been a setting I wasn't aware of on the V-Amp? It just seemed dull and muffled compared to the POD. Also, the POD has that "Manual" button which I always hit first for setting up my sound. Does the V-Amp have something similar?

Thanks.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: V-Amp2 vs. POD, update and a question

highly possible. kinda unrelated but it proves a point, i saw a band over the weekend and he was using a pod pro through a randall warhead 2x12 and it sounded like a metal zone pumped through a gameboy speaker... it was terrible. i had a pod pro, and it would rip your face off, could get some killer tones out of it.

so the point is, it's all in how you use it. gc has a 45 day return policy... charge both of those suckers, and take them home and play.

Dave

Comment

If you're playing through another amp, you NEED to have the cab sims OFF. If you like the sound with them on, cool - but they recommend leaving them off unless you're direct recording.

I played for the longest time with a POD Pro through an Alesis RA-100 into 2 Marshall 2x12s. It sounded a little weird for the longest time until I shut the cab sims off. I also had a V-amp, but I only used it at work and through headphones. I thought the Line6 sounded better, but I felt that the Line6 had a "duller" sound by comparison, but better overall. The V-amp didn't really need the compression IMHO - even the clean channels would ring out for quite awhile without it.

I'm probably gonna get the V-amp Bass unit, but we'll see. I'll have to try it out at GC first to see if I'll replace my PSA-1 with it. I could be three V-amp for the PSA-1... I'm kinda interested in the V-amp Pro too. We'll have to see...

Comment

I have a V-Amp2--in my opinion, you can get far better hi-gain settings from it than from a POD 2.0. But you have to tinker with it a bit--none of the presets are very good. I would try it out again, only this time play it through headphones, make sure that it is set for 'studio' operation (using the cab sims), and play around with the various settings--that's the way to tell what it can do.

The V-Amp2 has a crisper, tighter sound than the POD2.0, which always sounded distant to me--like the sound was coming from a different room.

I now use a PODxt for my recorded guitar sounds, which I find a huge improvement over either V-Amp or POD2.0. I still use the V-Amp to record my bass, and I'm thinking of getting the new Bass V-Amp that just came out.

To answer your final question, no the V-Amp does not have the "manual" button like on the POD. You just have to pick a preset and starting tweezing it around.

[ June 02, 2003, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: pro-fusion ]

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. Here's the real bottom line: the V-Amp wouldn't fully saturate. I like a full-blown gain type of sound, but with good definition and no sludge. The V-Amp had great clarity, but didn't quite go over the edge on saturation. I had the gain knob maxed out on the V-Amp, and at about 75% on the POD, yet the POD was fully saturated while the V-Amp wasn't. That's what makes me wonder if the V-Amp was set to simulate a cab which might remove some of the gain somehow.

Like I said, I REALLY want to like the V-Amp, and I'll definitely evaluate it again, but I was a little disappointed yesterday.

Comment

Jesus crap, you maxed the gain and still want more?? That's too much gain buddy. I have my gain set to 12 o'clock with the Modern High Gain model on the V-Amp and that's plenty for me. Try recording with an ultra-high gain tone and you'll end up with a big, ugly, muddy mix.

If you really want more gain, you can engage the "Drive" function, which will give you more gain. Also, adding a compressor will help too. Also, if you hook your V-Amp up to a PC with midi cables, using the free software (downloadable) you can get that compressor/delay setting you want.

If you find the sound is too muddy, try increasing the "presence", which is controled with "Tap + Treble".

Also...the presets on the V-Amp are utter crap IMHO.

Personally my setting for my main high gain tone are something like this (although something tells me you won't like this sound):

Modern High Gain
            Gain: 5
            Treble: 7
            Mids: 7.5
            Bass: 3.5
            Cabinet: No. 13
            Set Presence however you want.
            No effects, except maybe some light reverb (although, when I record I take that off and use plugins instead...it's always a good idea to record your guitars dry)

As for the "Manual" button....dunno what the deal with that is. On the V-Amp you just start turning knobs and pushing buttons. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ June 02, 2003, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: DeadNight Warrior ]

Comment

Oh, and if you want to push the gain into disgustingly high levels select the Recto head model (Tap + Rectified High Gain), max the gain, turn drive on, and max out the compressor. If that's not enough gain for you, you have a condition that needs immediate treatment. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by DeadNight Warrior:
                Jesus crap, you maxed the gain and still want more?? That's too much gain buddy. I have my gain set to 12 o'clock with the Modern High Gain model on the V-Amp and that's plenty for me. Try recording with an ultra-high gain tone and you'll end up with a big, ugly, muddy mix.

If you really want more gain, you can engage the "Drive" function, which will give you more gain. Also, adding a compressor will help too. Also, if you hook your V-Amp up to a PC with midi cables, using the free software (downloadable) you can get that compressor/delay setting you want.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Keep in mind, though, that I want clarity, not sludge. I want that fully saturated, warm and toneful kind of sound. I just downloaded the manual and was reading it. I think you actually answered my question; I probably didn't have the Drive function enabled. That'll most likely do the trick. Thanks also for the tip about the editing software. So it'll let me combine effects?

Comment

Personally, I didn't care for the V-Amp2 sounds with the 'drive' engaged. I was able to get as much gain as I needed (and I use quite a bit) on several of the amp sims, including the 'modern hi-gain' sim, just by maxing out the regular gain stage. Also, check out some of the other hi-gain sims. There are two Dual Recto sims--the one that models the stack is better than the combo model. You can get pretty hairy with that. Also, check out the sim that models the Engl amp--that's pretty killer, as well. I can't remember them all now, since I don't use the V-Amp for guitar anymore, but you can get pretty driven with it. The extra 'drive' stage was way too sludgy for me.

I will admit, though, that if you are looking for Pantera-type massive overdrive/gain, the POD 2.0 might be more what you need. The V-Amp won't get quite that saturated while maintaining a decent tone, but for more of a shredder lead sound, the V-Amp has it all over the POD, imho.

Comment

Final Update:

I went back and compared them again, this time with the Drive button ON and the cab sims OFF. As much as I wanted to love the V-Amp, the verdict is... POD.

The POD just seemed somehow better to me and had a much better feel.

Comment

Also, if you're willing to shell out a little more (maybe it's still cheaper than buying a POD...it would be here anyway), you could add graphic EQ pedal in there to help shape the tone more. With, my lil Boss EQ I can get a much wider range of tones compared to if I only used the V-Amp's cabs and EQ controls (although, I suppose the same could be said for the POD). But personally, I find that using a very middy setting on the V-Amp and then scooping the mids with the GE7 gives some very nice and tight high gain tones. It's not at all handy for me, being a mid-freq freak, but it comes in handy for certain things.

Dunno, just a thought anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadNight Warrior:
                        Also, if you're willing to shell out a little more (maybe it's still cheaper than buying a POD...it would be here anyway), you could add graphic EQ pedal in there to help shape the tone more. With, my lil Boss EQ I can get a much wider range of tones compared to if I only used the V-Amp's cabs and EQ controls (although, I suppose the same could be said for the POD). But personally, I find that using a very middy setting on the V-Amp and then scooping the mids with the GE7 gives some very nice and tight high gain tones. It's not at all handy for me, being a mid-freq freak, but it comes in handy for certain things.

Dunno, just a thought anyways.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm already using a GE-7, but I mainly wanted a tight, chunking rhythm at a lower volume.

Comment

Working...
                        X