Marshall Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Questions

Alright lads. Just a few questions about Marshalls. Duh [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Right, the other day I was trying a few guitars owt in a guitar shop (nothing special, just a PRS Tremonti SE and some Jackson Rhoads) and I was playing them through a JCM2000 Superlead combo. Now, even though it was at a pretty low volume, it sounded like arse. It really sounded awful. Was this to do with the fact I had f*ck all time to dial in a decent tone or are they just not good at low volumes?

Also, Iced Earth, yeah I know, Larry Grohman custom amp heads etc etc etc, but would I be able to get a similar tone out of my Marshall 8080 valvestate combo? What effects would I need? A set of EMGs? I know Im asking loads etc but Id appreciate the help. And Im asking that last question cos I dont actually have the amp with me so I cant try it (my mates still fixing it).

Thanks in advance.

James

Re: Marshall Questions

I can tell you that most tube amps sound pretty lame when they are at a low volume.

Comment

Hey I own that amp! [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] JJ. Yes it sounds very shatty at low volume, once you turn it up it sounds really good, you also have to tweak the controls quite a bit to get a good sound. Pushing the tone shift(scoops the mids) and keeping the treble 3/4, and bass 3/4, middle 1/4, presence 4/4. If you push the deep button you get a good bass boost. Also with out the tone shift on, the more you lay off the mids the more you have to lay off on the presence. Its just a matter of experimentation. Theres a lot of good tones, you just gotta find them.

Comment

I can tell you that most tube amps sound pretty lame when they are at a low volume.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Naaaaaahhhhhh.... Not always.

If you are looking at power tube distortion, maybe that's true... But,with my CAE3+se/VHT2150 rig, I get my best sound out of my amp at living room volume. Seems I really don't like it as much at loud volumes.

We had a DSL2000 here for some time and it sounded like arse to us too... You're ears are fine, haha... Some people just don't like those amps...

We tried everything with that DSL2000... EQ, BBE, Pedals etc... We could never get a sound we liked... And we REALLY tried. We sold it and got Bill a Bogner Uberschall...

Comment

I have never played through the combos before. I did play through a DSL head and didn't like it nearly as much as the TSL head. I think even though Jon uses Larry heads he stills has to use a BBE maximizer as well, you might try that.

Comment

I have a couple BBEs and pretty much don't likethem any more...

That said... I've explained what I know about them a few times lately... So I'm just giving the link to their site, they do just great explaining it...

http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE_HDS/

Comment

Lol thanks mate [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

James

Comment

Aah. Cool.
                Thanks lads.
                Could someone explian what a BBE Maximiser is please? Not for me, I know what it is, its, um, for... my mate, yeah... thats it... [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
                [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

James

Comment

Working...
                X