NAD!! (a couple weeks ago)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD!! (a couple weeks ago)

Found this absolute GEM on Facebook marketplace listed for $500! Had to drive 3 1/2 hours each way to go get it but it was well worth it!

It was sitting in the living room of a half rundown house with holes in the floor in the middle of bum-fucked North Carolina with a dude that smoked a lot of cigarettes, drank too much booze, and did'nt play his epiphone les paul or Squier strat on this bad boy enough. It's got a broken "presence" potentiometer, all the knobs need replacing, spiderwebs and dust all over AND IN it, and it had a thick yellow layer of nicotine coating the tolex but it cleaned up well! Now if I could just get the cigarette smell to go away...YUCK! Any recommendations?

Great score and fantastic cleanup! Looks great. I had a first run 5150 and just loved it. I never got a chance to try it with the matching cab. I’ve always heard they just “open” up with the Sheffield’s. Congrats
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

That is like a barn find. In fact, go back, I bet he has an 81' Z-28 manual tranny in his garage with flat tires, boxes and junk stacked on top, 60K original miles.
      Not sure how you get rid of smoke smell in amps. Time? Some of my gear used to smell from back in the days when we played smokey bars. Now I do not notice it any longer but it has been 10 years removed from those environments.

Comment

WOW great save! Man the speakers and cloth cover is gonna be the biggest problem with that smell. I found some people use alcohol as it evaporates and doesn't leave a smell like lemon pledge or fabreeze. Here is a link to some helpful ideas.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...-speakers.html

Comment

Great score, and fine restoration job! Those amps are killer!

Comment

Though it has its downsides, Nicotine/Tar makes for one hell of a preservative
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by z1n View Post
              WOW great save! Man the speakers and cloth cover is gonna be the biggest problem with that smell. I found some people use alcohol as it evaporates and doesn't leave a smell like lemon pledge or fabreeze. Here is a link to some helpful ideas.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...-speakers.html
              I appreciate the link, z1n!

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
              Though it has its downsides, Nicotine/Tar makes for one hell of a preservative
              haha ain't that the truth

Comment

Pictures visibly show that that amp has the gnarliest "dirty" channel and the most pristine "clean" channel. Nice job rescuing that!

Comment

Nice! Charcoal filters for fish tanks or cat litter boxes may help.

Here's some more info on how to get rid of smoke odors. https://dengarden.com/cleaning/How-t...of-Smoke-Smell
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    Pictures visibly show that that amp has the gnarliest "dirty" channel and the most pristine "clean" channel. Nice job rescuing that!
                    Haha! No doubt!

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Nice! Charcoal filters for fish tanks or cat litter boxes may help.

Here's some more info on how to get rid of smoke odors. https://dengarden.com/cleaning/How-t...of-Smoke-Smell
                    Thanks, TJ! I wiped it down with Febreeze but maybe need to get the Murphy's Oil Soap out and do a full scrub

Comment

You could try some coffee grounds (unused), put in a filter and let it sit in the chassis, for a day or two. Coffee grounds absorb a lot of odors

Comment

Originally posted by MPI View Post
                        You could try some coffee grounds (unused), put in a filter and let it sit in the chassis, for a day or two. Coffee grounds absorb a lot of odors
                        Thanks for that idea, MPI! For the most part the smell has gone away but I will try that as well to clear it of any remaining odors.

Comment

In the meantime...

I found a 5150 straight cab local to me in excellent condition for less than $200 so why not? Haha

Comment

Nice save!

As for the smell, I would take the chassis out and go sit the head outside for awhile as well as clean it 100x over haha.

Comment

Working...
                            X