Rack Multi-Effects Processors for 4CM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack Multi-Effects Processors for 4CM

Have been researching guitar rack Multi effects processors specifically for rack use with 4CM. This will replace my TC Electronic G-Major. I want a single unit that will allow me to get effects both “in front” of the amp (Drive, Wah, etc) and in the effect loop (Delay, reverb, etc).

I have read the manuals for both the Axe FX III and Line 6 Helix. I have a reasonable understanding of both units capabilities and am confident that they both were designed to accommodate the type of 4CM I want to create.

In the spirit of evaluating viable options, are there other other rack multi effect units for guitar that are 4CM compatible? I started looking at the Kemper Profiler manual and while it looks to be a great product, it does not seem to be designed for 4CM use (could be wrong any Kemper owners who want to share their experiences with the KP unit would be welcome information).

Seems that Helix and Axe 3 have the connections as well as flexible input/output routing required for 4CM setups whereas the Kemper has fewer connection options, but I am intrigued by the Kemper approach to amp modeling.

Axe 3 all day long.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

What is 4CM?

Comment

4CM = 4 cable method.

Big fan of the Boss GT serie here. I used to use a Boss GT8 for wah/FX/OD only and either with my Traynor YCV40/Peavey 6505/Marshall DSL50 Head or Mesa Mini Rectifier.

The amp switch feature is pretty cool as all the amps I own are 2 channels amp and the GT8 would let me control the switching from clean to the drive channel of the amp.
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
          What is 4CM?
          Devices that support 4 cable method can both feed the input or “front” of the amp and be inserted into the amps effect loop. You can then define presets that place effects before and after the amps preamp (or bypass the amps preamp altogether and use the device’ amp modeling as your preamp).

Very useful when you want distortion, wah, EQ before the pre amp and time based effects (e.g. delay, reverb) after the pre-amp. Also creates a very flexible, preset driven rig.

The big downside is that multiple D/A, A/D conversions raise your noise floor, but there are ways to deal with that.
          Last edited by CaptNasty; 08-07-2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
            In the spirit of evaluating viable options, are there other other rack multi effect units for guitar that are 4CM compatible?
            I can only name the GSP 1101 if that still is in current production

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
            The big downside is that multiple D/A, A/D conversions raise your noise floor, but there are ways to deal with that.
            Not much of an issue with noisy tube amps
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
            X