Marshall MG Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall MG Series

I'm looking to buy a cheap amp soon..does anybody have some info on these amps?

Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to save up for an AVT instead?

Thanks

Kunal

Re: Marshall MG Series

I have had both in the past. The MG was not great and I returned it after a week for the AVT50H and cab (that I just sold last week after having it a year). The AVTs are not given much credit by some people - but they are actually not bad for what they are: a tube/solid state hybrid. They aren't meant to compete or replace full tube amps,but are better than most slid states, and not as good as a full tube amp. If you go into the purchase with that in mind you'll be happier. Nice gain at "bedroom" volumes, good clean (but not too clean) and pretty loud. One thing I found out is that they actually sound the best when matched with the AVT cab as opposed to another cab. I tried the head with different cabs and it sounded best when matched. That being said - when I hooked it up recently to my JCM800 - it sounded like crap. The speakers are Celestions, but they are really specifically voiced/constructed for the AVT series. The reason I bought it in the first place was that after a 11 year layoff from playing, I really didnt want to jump back into a all tube amp (hadn't had one since '87) if I wasn't going to get serious about music again. The reason I sold it was that I am finally getting ready to play out again and I wanted something a little more rounded and band worthy.

I thought the MG just sounded 'brittle' and cheap.
    The AVT is much warmer than the MG series, more tube-like, better construced, and actually made in Great Britton(I think the MG series are farmed out somewhere else) - if that means anything to you. The gain on the AVT is more than enough so you won't need any distortion pedals - it actually sounds worse. I would recommend a Boss GE-7 in the effects loop - it really made a difference in the sound and in my opinion you shouldnt consider not using one. It makes that much difference. The CD input is crap and the volume does not match the guitar output - but the headphone feature is nice when you need it.
    So, to sum up: The AVT is a good buy if you are a 'bedroom rockstar' or a garage band, if you are already playing clubs, parties, or dances - go for a used tube amp, and in my opinion take a pass on the MG series.

Comment

I've got an AVT combo. Sounds pretty decent. I hook up a Boss Overdrive pedal(SD-1, i think) to the OD 1 channel of the amp and it sounds real good, though not quite up to par with a real marshall all-tube amp. The AVT's OD2 channel sounds like it has more gain, but it also sounds mushy and nu-metalish so I really never use that channel.

BTW, Back For More, how do you set your EQ on the amp and GE-7?

[ January 26, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: IRM ]

Comment

Standard 'V' shape - boost the bass and treble, reduce the mids. The level a little above the current amp level. The GE-7 is great - I really couldn't do without it to be honest. It really rounds out the sound on the 800 also. If you don't have one you should get one.

Comment

Working...
        X