thick full lead tone...with crushing rhythmn tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thick full lead tone...with crushing rhythmn tone

What amp....preferably a Head. None of that Rack stuff. Would be the best thing for me to get for say a really full...smooth lead tone. I really like it when leads don't sound thin and tinny. I think I'm fond of Petrucci's lead tones...but I don't like his rhythmn sound too much...its not Mean enough for me. As far as a rhythmn crunch sound goes...I'm infatuated with an Iced Earth/Arch Enemy type of thing. Somewhere in that neck of the woods. Very tight...very saturated. Very kick@ss. Is there an amp head out there. preferably in the 100 to 120 watt range that can do both of these. I was eyeing those Egnater TOL heads. Probably have to get a rocktron version. Or can a Soldano do this? The leads for iced earth are supposed to be soldano slo, but I don't really care much for the leads in Iced Earth. Can I get a 5150 to pump out a really smooth lead tone? cuz I do like the hi gain you're able to push out of those. Plus..they are in my budget range. some suggestions would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Re: thick full lead tone...with crushing rhythmn tone

Thick full lead tone with crushing rhythm tone? I don't know what your looking for, but what ever is... I'm looking for it too. I do know that Petrucci's lead tones come from a Mesa Boogie Mark IV that's why I am look at them to find my amp.

Nek

Comment

I'm not familiar with Petrucci's sound, really, but you can get a smooth lead sound out of a lot of different stuff. It all kinda really depends on what kind of tone flavor you're looking for. Smooth can be very mild and dark...or it can be relatively bright and crisp. Mesa stuff would probably be considered some of the more dark...VHT or Soldano are probably some of the more bright and crisp. I haven't played the Egnater heads, but I have the Egnater M4 preamp, and if it's any indication, the Egnater sound is, I'd say, somewhere in between, which allows it to go either direction very easily and very well. Like with my M4 (and other gear) I can get a very high-pitched screaming wail out of it and really hard-edged metal chords, or I can get very dark and thick, heavy sound out of it anywhere from Santana type stuff to nu-metal mud. If you're interested in a wide pallet of sounds at all, I'd suggest you check out the Egnater modular heads they're making now. If you can't afford them, the Randall versions of the same might be a bit cheaper. Otherwise, a lot of people really love those TOL heads...generally people rag on the Rocktron versions vs. the Egnaters, but money is money, and there's nothing wrong with setting a limit or settling with something...as long as you're happy with it, that's all that counts.

Comment

so the egnater preamp you have is the one with teh module things. Which modules do you have? I wouldn't be able to afford extras...just enough to fill it up. Yeah..I don't like the soldano..crisp lead tone. I'm looking for more of the Dark..singing lead tone. I'm thinking something like the Mark Series can achieve. Santana's sound is good..but not agressive enough. I have a feeling that the egnater..or rocktron is the way to go for me. The TOL head looks good. Is that the Rocktron Vendetta head?

sorry...I'm kinda, inebriated. so my typing skills are lacking right now.

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm not really that up on the various Egnater/Rocktron heads. Heads and combos were never really my thing, so I never looked at them much. Maybe someone else on here can help you, or you could ask over at Egnater or Rocktron for some guidance.

I have the Egnater M4 modular rack preamp...takes up to 4 of their modules. They are also working on heads and combos that take the modules, too. I don't know how far they've come in development, but I saw the 3-module Egnater head is ready and talked to Bruce & Frank at the Egnater booth at NAMM.

I've got the following modules:
          Vox++ (Extra Hot Vox)
          SL (Marshall Super Lead)
          SL++ (Extra Hot Marshall Super Lead)
          ERECT (Egnater's take on Mesa Dual Rec)

I've tried other modules, too, both Egnater and Randall ones. Feel free to ask about these or any others you're interested in, I might have tried them and can give you an impression. Egnater's working on several new modules lately, too--some VERY cool and original ideas. And they will custom-make a module or modify a module for you as well, if you want.

By itself, without all my other gear vamping the sound (or "sucking out the tone", some would say hehe), the sound of the preamp is pretty thick and dark. For my sound, I put it through a lot of other rack gear and push the front end with some pedals. In my experience, it's better to have a stronger, heavier basic sound like and brighten and "thrash" it up, than it is to start with a weaker, thinner sound and try to make it thicker and heavier. The M4 will go either way, and any way in between, and seems to be happy with pretty much whatever I throw at it to get "my sound" out of it. I believe, in general, Egnater's most known for high-gain with a smooth sound and sustain. The EQ and gain controls work extremely well to give a very broad range of sounds. With my setup as-is, I can easily go from an earsplittingly bright sound that'll hurt your ears to a darker sound with crunchy top-end, to a very very dark mellow heavy sound all just by turning the High knob on a module--they're all very reactive.

If you have any other specific info, feel free to ask, or email me directly... [email protected]

And I posted it a while back, but if you didn't catch it, you can get a looky at my gear setup on my webpage...

http://hometown.aol.com/stutdavis/page3.html

Comment

Working...
          X