Tried my SLO with an attenuator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried my SLO with an attenuator

My SLO 100 has been my "one and only" for 13 years now, and I get compliments on my tone just about every time I gig it. My band mates just love it. I decided to see how an attenuator might sound, just out of curiosity ...so I ordered a Weber Mass 200. Well, I tried it out today...setting my SLO at gig level volume typically around 4 master volume.....and then cranking the master up quite a bit higher with some attenuation from the Weber. Verdict- I'm not sure it was worth the purchase. I myself didn't really perceive some big difference in sustain or response,,,maybe just a tad of spongier with attenuation....but maybe not. I certainly didn't have any jaw dropping experience.....or much if any experience at all. I sure didn't plan on using an attenuator for bedroom volumes. I'll try it at rehearsal tomorrow and ask the guys.....but what do you think. Anyone else experience something like this?
    Last edited by lynchfan6; 06-02-2018, 04:17 PM.

After a few more hours with it, my verdict (in my opinion) is that this Weber will be nice to have for playing in really small locations or jamming at someones house or even around my house, as I can still get my volume to around 3 or 4 without the decibels. To me, that is where I feel my amp comes alive. I really like it at 4. WIth a loud drummer and most gigs, I don't know I'd really benefit from this attenuator. I only use a 2x12 cab, so that helps. So, I may keep it to make the amp more versatile outside of a full band gig/rehearsal setup. But then again, I always thought my SLO still sounded pretty darn awesome at low volume. Also, I have a hot rod 25 for those applications. All of you guys with the high gain 100 watt heads.......do you get by just fine without using attenuation? I do like leaving some headroom in the power amp for solo volume boosts, etc.
    Last edited by lynchfan6; 06-02-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I have a weber mass as well. I only use it for recording at home, and like you said, in small locations. One band I was in was all about super low stage volume so it came in real handy there. Just handy to have for when you need IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
        After a few more hours with it, my verdict (in my opinion) is that this Weber will be nice to have for playing in really small locations or jamming at someones house or even around my house, as I can still get my volume to around 3 or 4 without the decibels. To me, that is where I feel my amp comes alive. I really like it at 4. WIth a loud drummer and most gigs, I don't know I'd really benefit from this attenuator. I only use a 2x12 cab, so that helps. So, I may keep it to make the amp more versatile outside of a full band gig/rehearsal setup. But then again, I always thought my SLO still sounded pretty darn awesome at low volume. Also, I have a hot rod 25 for those applications. All of you guys with the high gain 100 watt heads.......do you get by just fine without using attenuation? I do like leaving some headroom in the power amp for solo volume boosts, etc.
        The only time I had luck using an attenuator live is when I used half the distortion from my amp and the other half from a pedal.
        If I used all the distortion from the amp (which I assume you are doing with the SLO), I didn't' notice any positive difference using an attenuator.

With that said.. holy crap bro... master on 4 on the SLO is really loud. I never got past 2 with mine unless I wasn't mic'd.

I have a few attenuators laying around my house. They seem like a great idea but I just don't see the benefit live. At home or in the studio.. absolutely.

Comment

Decided to send the Weber back for a refund. I should also clarify that I use a Gmajor in the loop of my SLO, so the patches I have set do knock a few db off with the levels I have set.....so it's not exactly as loud as an SLO on "4" alone. Also, I use a small 2x12 cab, facing away from everyone, often facing into a corner or towards the back of the stage. For a while our drummer used a really large kit, now he has switched to electronic drums "soft heads" for most of his kit,,,,my reason for checking out an attenuator. Plus, we all use in ears. But even turning down a bit lately on my end for reduced stage volume,,,,my SLO sounds as good or the same as using that Weber to put my master up higher. For around the house, I have my little Crate G60....and for a tube amp, I do have a Hot Rod 25 which handles great Soldano sing at lower volumes.
          Last edited by lynchfan6; 06-06-2018, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Some amps will have very good results from over driving the power section. Soldano amps are beast from the get go so you won't see super huge differences. but if you put this on an older JMP you would be very surprised as those things get very beastly when power section is over driven. Most super high gain amps won't get much, maybe >5% difference in tone and not always better tone. older tube amps however are a completely different creature when you cook the power section.

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post
              Some amps will have very good results from over driving the power section. Soldano amps are beast from the get go so you won't see super huge differences. but if you put this on an older JMP you would be very surprised as those things get very beastly when power section is over driven. Most super high gain amps won't get much, maybe >5% difference in tone and not always better tone. older tube amps however are a completely different creature when you cook the power section.
              I agree with this post!

Comment

Update.....tried a RIVERA Rock Crusher with my SLO yesterday. Just my guitar straight into my SLO, the Rivera and a cab. This unit impressed me. Put my SLO on 4 Master volume and attenuated with the Rivera to a non deafening, rather comfortable volume.....sounded so thick and full and alive. Increased sustain was noticable, as I keep my gain on about 7 on the overdrive channel. Bypassed the Rivera and adjusted just my master down to about the same volume level,,,did not sound as full and had more of that "just a preamp" thinner sound. So, the Rivera is a keeper, and by my ears - so transparent. I may forever keep my SLO on "4' and just use the ROCK Crusher to adjust, it's that good. Even way down to -20db of attenuation, I was still smiling, and it retained that fuller thicker sound of being turned up higher.
                Last edited by lynchfan6; 06-12-2018, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Nice! I was going to suggest the RRC. He really did his homework and designed an active load.

Comment

Update.....tried a RIVERA Rock Crusher with my SLO yesterday. Just my guitar straight into my SLO, the Rivera and a cab. This unit impressed me. Put my SLO on 4 Master volume and attenuated with the Rivera to a non deafening, rather comfortable volume.....sounded so thick and full and alive. Increased sustain was noticable, as I keep my gain on about 7 on the overdrive channel. Bypassed the Rivera and adjusted just my master down to about the same volume level,,,did not sound as full and had more of that "just a preamp" thinner sound. So, the Rivera is a keeper, and by my ears - so transparent. I may forever keep my SLO on "4' and just use the ROCK Crusher to adjust, it's that good. Even way down to -20db of attenuation, I was still smiling, and it retained that fuller thicker sound of being turned up higher.
                    Good to know. Never tried the Rock Crusher. Its pricey!!!

Comment

If you guys ever watch Phillip McKnights channel on YouTube. He love the Rivera Rock Crusher. He said it doesn`t mess with the tone like others do.

Comment

Used the rock crusher with my little Soldano Hot Rod 25 head last night. Cranked the head to about half volume and used the rock crusher for some attenuation to keep the volume at a very sane level, and sure enough,,,pure tonal bliss. Notes were sustaining and blossoming into harmonic feedback, chords and riffs were rich and 3 dimensional,,,,,and at a very sane, in the house level. THis amp, with that power filter choke, is designed to work in some hard working power amp tube effect on the sound, and gets there WAY sooner than the SLO. The rock crusher allows me to get it at around the house levels. Need to put in a plug for this unit, at least for what I'm experiencing with my Soldanos.

Comment

Not surprised about the Rivera. I've had one for a while, but I generally use smaller amps these days so
                          I haven't had much need for it. I like the Dr Z Brake Light for smaller amps, but I think it's only recommended for
                          amps under 40 watts. Hit or miss with attenuators, but the Rivera is great...

Comment

My SLO 100 has been my "one and only" for 13 years now, and I get compliments on my tone just about every time I gig it. My band mates just love it. I decided to see how an attenuator might sound, just out of curiosity ...so I ordered a Weber Mass 200. Well, I tried it out today...setting my SLO at gig level volume typically around 4 master volume.....and then cranking the master up quite a bit higher with some attenuation from the Weber. Verdict- I'm not sure it was worth the purchase. I myself didn't really perceive some big difference in sustain or response,,,maybe just a tad of spongier with attenuation....but maybe not. I certainly didn't have any jaw dropping experience.....or much if any experience at all. I sure didn't plan on using an attenuator for bedroom volumes. I'll try it at rehearsal tomorrow and ask the guys.....but what do you think. Anyone else experience something like this?
                            I'm not surprised. There's a bit of "myth and legend" surrounding tube amps, and it just won't die. The whole "crank that sucker and she'll sound sweeeeettt!" does NOT apply to modern master volume amps. In fact, if you "dime" the typical modern master volume amp, it'll sound like shit on a shingle. Most of them I've played across sounded best anywhere between 3-6 on the master.

Back in the old days before master volumes, it was true; the higher you turned them, the better they generally sounded. But it doesn't apply any longer unless we're talking about a reissue amp with no master volume.

I used to have a Marshall JCM800 2210, 2-channel, master volume, reverb (although a really weak reverb). I can't tell you how many times I was advised to "dime" it to get its best potential.

Nope.
                            Last edited by PowerTube; 04-07-2019, 05:52 PM.
                            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Let me also add.... the concept behind an attenuator is that it allows you to overdrive the power tubes in an amp while keeping the volume sane. That's where you can get the great overtones. But some amps simply aren't designed that way; they're designed to sound better as a mix of preamp and power amp.
                              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                              X