The dreaded 5150 cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dreaded 5150 cabinet

Hey guys what are your thoughts of the 5150 cabs? I know the general agreement are the Sheffield speakers are terrible but it seems some people out there love them. I like personaly like v30’s but I’m open to try something new.

Now I have a lead on one for $225 on the CL ( the guy won’t budge on $ )
    Of course the head head is for sell but I unfortunately have no need for the 120 watt head ( as much as I want to )

i have a peavey VTM60 and in Orange CR120 and a marshall 1960bv cab, Does anyone have experience running these two cabinets together or with either amp? I’m thinking the 5150 cab with the orange may sound pretty good or the VTM full stacked 5150 and 1960bv, let me know what you think, Cheers!

I had an old Peavey 5150 angled 4x12. Monster sounding cab, heavy, but fell apart due to abuse of loading, rolling, and the wear and tear of playing live. I replaced casters twice. Had to install 1/8 pieces of aluminum mounting plates the second time since the screw holes and wood (or was it particle board?) was so worn. The cabinet was prone to farting air leaks due to bass pressure. I have heard from other users about this issue too. So I took some tips from owners - had to put strip caulk sealer around edges and deck screws it the middle to tighten the back to a 2x2 support. Eventually I got sick of fixing it, removed the Sheffield's, and put them in a pair of empty ADA 2x12's. Meanwhile my Marshall 1960a (same age) has been rode hard and still is on first set of casters, no cab repairs, but it looks sick.. road worn & torn. If the cab is staying home, you'll be fine. Roll it around for 10 years, be prepared to fix. Regardless of home or road, the farting issue you WILL want to remedy.

Comment

I have never had an issue with a 5150 cab. Built like tanks. I have Marshall 1960's, Mesa 4 x 12 's and 5150 cabs. They are all good and totally road worthy.
      If it fell apart you must tour a lot worldwide or national with no road cases and roadies who really abuse the crap out of your gear. I have 5150 cabs that I have been playing live with since they first came out. Most of the tolex is ripped or missing, had to replace a caster or 2 a few times but structurally they are perfect and they sound great.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Any other tips on reinforcing this or any other cabinet?, I think I might do this to my 1960bv cab as well.. Just for good measure

Comment

I did end up getting the cab and I am pretty impressed so far with it. Ran my CR120 with a MXR 10 band and a DR. acid Skate fuzz sounded good for doomy/sabbath type stuff. Yes it doesn't have the best clean tone but its not as bad as its made out to be...I put it through the VTM soon enough. I mainly want to run it with the marshall and see how that goes.

Comment

Working...
          X