Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it better to have a matchin brand head and cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it better to have a matchin brand head and cab?

that about sums it up quite well I think... excellent explanation there dude [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Stu.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Stu -

regarding the 'big dick - no effects' part of your post... I used to run no effects, and run as few as possible - because it's best for *me*. Not an attempt to impress anyone with my rugged stone-age setup, but it's a fact that the more pedals/effects you run through, the more the signal/tone is degraded. Especially a ton of pedals, and cheap ones just make it worse(boss, ibanez, DOD, etc).

Currently I'm using a fulldrive II sometimes, and a wah - sometimes just a cord. Looks like I'm going to either be getting a rack processor or start using a few more pedals since the band I'm in is doing covers... but I'm still one of those people that would rather play through a great amp uneffected than 50 bazillion effects.

Pete

Comment

Thank you, Pete. I was just about to post something along those lines.

Case in point: For the past few weeks I have been messing with a Marshall JFX in my little rack running thru the effects loop of the Mighty SLO, and having fun with it in my bedroom.
          My second night with the band I just joined was last night and I didn't use the rack at all. Not even the Furman. Guitar/Cord/Head/Speaker cables/ Cabinets.

The sound was flat amazing and the rack is history.

Now, in my case, because the band is all original, I don't have to use effects if I so choose. Its my option, as opposed to the situation Pete was describing where he HAS to cover some select sounds.

And I don't equate the "Run Dry" setup to some supposed "Big Dick" thing, either, cause I have nothing but respect to people who can use that stuff to its potential!

Ultimately, to each his or her own. That's what makes this interesting!

Comment

"The sound was amazing and the rack is history"

Does that mean you have some more rack gear to sell me Chuck?

Comment

Even though I have a big rack, I only use it to enhance the colors of the songs and tones that I 'm doing. I run a ground gcx,so nothing is in the loop when it's not needed. But I record and jam with just my head a cab and a wah (sorry just got to have my wah). What was said early is SO true. If I'm not feeling my tone, my whole nite will be off. But tone and gear is so personal, what you may like I'll hate, or I'll sound great playing an amp that you sound like crap on.Bottom line you have to like YOUR tone before anyone else can. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ January 12, 2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: skidd ]
              www.kiddhavok.com
              www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Chuck, Okla, or anyone who fits the section of the post I made they are referring to...it was a JOKE! A complete JOKE! See winky-smiley? Winky-smiley means... it's a JOKE!

I think it's funny--though incredibly pointless--when people feel they have to post that they use "NONE" effects when someone asks people what they use. Look back at the posts where that's happened...it's FUNNY, dude! Because, when people post that they don't use any effects, they post it with a huge bravado for some reason. Look back, I'm serious, on this one. There will be the leader post, then posts after it of people posting several lines of pedals or rack gear, and some with big huge long lists of gear...all of it just listed normally like this:

Rocktron Chameleon
                Rocktron Pro-Q
                Boss Overdrive
                Boss Flanger
                Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp
                etc etc

Then, you'll get these posts like this:

NONE!! ABSOLUTELY NONE!!

Or one like this:

GUITAR, AMP, CAB, DON'T NEED NOTHIN ELSE!!

Like...they're proud as punch that they don't use any effects. I'm not naming any names, because I don't know of anyone specifically who's done it, and don't really pay that much attention to who...just think it's funny when it's done. Because it's not likely to be helpful to the person who's interested in suggestions for gear, is it? Kinda like if someone asked "what car is a good car to buy?" and someone replied "NEVER DROVE A CAR!! DON'T HAVE A LICENSE!!" Not too helpful is it? But it's funny, because it's done with such huge pride...for...what reason? I don't know. Couldn't begin to guess why someone thinks it's special not to use much gear, but it's stated like they're obviously very proud of the fact. Good for them...again, kinda pointless and not very helpful if someone is asking to get suggestions of what they might want. But, funny anyway... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

"What's that supposed to be, impressive or something? Maybe I missed something, is having very little gear somehow equated to having a large penis now?"

You are right in that it doesn't help much, but the ridicule is what caught my eye.

When someone asks that question, its often because they think the key to a great sound is having the kitchen sink in the signal path, and if you REALLY know what you are doing with that gear, ala Newc, it's awesome. But its not the only route.

There are many younger players on this board, and many times my answers along those lines you pointed out are to help them see that.

Sorry, I'll chill out with my manly Guitar/Head/Cabs combo and impress myself to no end! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I get different tone depending on what underwear I wear. If I wear my brown underwear, I seem to get a really great "brown sound" for some reason. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] When I bought the underwear, it was white, but I can't quite figure out why it's brown now. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

My sound isn't brown. It's more of a Mauve color like my crotchless lacies. My sperm doctor advise me to wear a Crotchless briefs so I won't get sterile. He told me that your beanbag needs room to breathe.

PS This has helped my tone dramatically [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Crotchless lacies! hahahaha I'm gonna have to try some of them. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Bah! I wear my underwear just like my effects:

NONE!! ABSOLUTELY NONE!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Does it give your tone more balls, Bill?

Comment

I wonder if Joe's tone tends to sound a little farty [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                                X