Crate Blue Voodoo 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crate Blue Voodoo 60

Ok you made me go look it up at www.howstuffworks.com and this is too damn confusing.

Every time you double the power, you increas 3 db. So 50w is 3 db louder than 100w according to this formula:

Power difference = 10 Log Power1/Power2

But, you are saying it takes 10 db to double the sound preassure level. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

My 2 cents regarding tube amps. The main reason I play a tube amp is for the FEEL. You can back off pick attack , guitar volume etc and get a wide array of tones including crunch to clean. SS amps are generally much less sensitive to feel. Most of YOUR tone is in your fingers anyway (I believe) and playing a tube amp helps to get an extra level of your playing nuances out of the speakers. IMO.

JOHN

Comment

take a fifty watt amp. Crank it. Take a 100 watt amp, crank it. the 100 watt is NOT going to be twice as loud. I don't know the science behind it, and I know it's confusing, but there isn't that much percieved (from us, people) volume difference. On paper, sure.

If you want to go by numbers, take a 100 watt RMS solid state head vs a tube 100 watt RMS head. They are the same on paper - in real life, they aren't.

Pete

Comment

I don't know much about the technical aspects of amps.. But I CAN tell you this for a FACT.... Matt's Dual Recto isn't much louder than my little 50 watt Single Recto. Actually, they seem VERY close in pure volume.

Comment

Ok ,here's one for you, Why is a 100 watt Pa head being killed by my 50, which is halved, actually about 30 watts, but you cannot hear the PA at all.
            Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Originally posted by nograveconcern:
              Not to butt in, but technically speaking volume doubles every 3 db. So, if the 60w amp put's out 3 less db that the 100, then it is half as loud. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not to butt back in, but read this thread...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...2Bwatt%2Bguita r%2Bamp%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26hl%3Den

Pete

Comment

I think the MAIN difference that has been overlooked so far is the tone and overall sound of a 50 watt versus 100 watt head.

Case in point: How many companies do you know of that use the same EXACT tube configuration in both their 50 and 100 watt heads?

My problem with the Crate stuff is the BV60 doesn't have nearly as much crunch as the BV120 head cus it has 2 less power tubes.

The same holds true in the old Sovtek heads.(the Mig series)
                I had a Mig 60 that was basically a Russian made Marshall Plexi. Then I heard the Mig 50 which is closer to a weak Fender Twin, then I hear the Mig 100 which uses totally differen power tubes and it sounded like-well, a Mig 100..

Anyway, my favorite head of all time is still the Crate BV120. If you get the earliest models made, they used the old Sovtek tubes for the first year or two.
                But then they switched to Groove Tubes and they just don't sound the same.
                The other issue with the Crate BV is most people play them thru those crappy Crate speakers that come stock in the BV cabs.
                I ran my 120 head through a Marshall cab equipped with Celestion 75's and the sound was amazing to say the least.
                I have also heard that head through the upgrade Crate cabs equipped with Vintage 30's and felt that that particular combo of head and cab was a mis-match at best.

Comment

Working...
                X