Help me decide on a pedal for Jake E Lee/80s tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide on a pedal for Jake E Lee/80s tone

I'll be playing either my Warren Demartini Charvel or Jackson DK2 through a Jet City JCA22 Combo. I've been looking at the Modtone High Gainer (and the mini one) Boss OD1, SD1. I wanna use to it to cut the low end like he did by keeping the drive down and level up. But with that being said I'm looking for an all around good pedal for 80s like Ratt etc. Lemme know your opinions!

I think the best pedal to get the Jake tone (for instance.. Bark at the Moon) is the MXR Zakk Wylde ZW38 chorus put out in front of the amp between your guitar and the amp input (don't put it in the loop).
    Together with the JCA22 combo and an OD1 you should be NAILING the Jake tone.

Comment

What people don't realize about Jake tone is there is usually some chorus mixed into it. It automatically cuts the low end. I am 100% positive he used chorus on almost everything when he was with Ozzy.

Comment

But should I pull the trigger on an OD 1 or is there something that with suffice such as an SD1 or modtone High Gainer etc

Comment

Originally posted by JS122615 View Post
          But should I pull the trigger on an OD 1 or is there something that with suffice such as an SD1 or modtone High Gainer etc
          If you need more gain out of your JCA22 you need to hit it in the teeth with an overdrive. I think the OD1 or the OD3 will do a fine job. Any overdrive pedal. Don't use a distortion pedal. With that said.. if you used the ZW38 and the ZW44 that would be ok. If you wanted to replace the Zakk Wylde overdrive with something else my suggestion is the MXR GT/OD pedal. Its virtually identical to the Zakk overdrive.

You just need to hit your JCA22 a little harder in the front end with an overdrive. This means the gain on the overdrive will only be up a tiny tiny bit. Maybe set it at 7 o'clock which would be around 2 out of 10 on a numbered dial. The level on the pedal needs to be a unity gain which is usually a little more than 1/2 way up. Tone at 12 o'clock.
          It needs to be set up this way..
          Guitar---overdrive---chorus--- amp input.
          If you need solo boost... put a clean boost in the loop. Something like an Electro Harmonix LPB1. Simple and inexpensive and transparent.

Comment

Awesome stuff here! How much chorus or effects did he use in badlands? Cause that's the sound I'm going after..5that raw sound

Comment

I have been on the quest for the perfect OD in front of my EVH 5150 III 50-watt. I currently use a cheap Joyo green tube screamer wannabe. It was $35 and worth all of it. It adds a nice bit of snarl but is noisy at rest. Unfortunately, it also cuts the nice girth I get from the natural amp. Adds a perfect touch to clean channel and solos.
              With so may OD's out there. I'm reluctant to spend $100 or more on disappointment. So I too will await thy recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
                I have been on the quest for the perfect OD in front of my EVH 5150 III 50-watt. I currently use a cheap Joyo green tube screamer wannabe. It was $35 and worth all of it. It adds a nice bit of snarl but is noisy at rest. Unfortunately, it also cuts the nice girth I get from the natural amp. Adds a perfect touch to clean channel and solos.
                With so may OD's out there. I'm reluctant to spend $100 or more on disappointment. So I too will await thy recommendations.
                Its almost guaranteed that when you add an OD to the front of an overdriven amp you are going to lose some bottom end or "girth". That's very obvious when you are at home playing alone. When you are in a live and loud situation it really doesn't matter because you can't hear most of that bottom end or "girth" live because its being taken up by the drums and the bass.

The trick to get this girth back is to add more master volume to the amp and lower the level on the overdrive pedal.

I have used just about every overdrive pedal out there. I like the Fulltone OCD, the Boss OD3, the MXR ZW44 and the MXR GT/OD.
                If I had to pick only one.. I would chose the MXR GT/OD. Its a great pedal. It also doesn't kill your girth that much.
                If you want to just kick your 5150-III in the teeth and add an "extra" stage of gain you could use the INDUSTRY STANDARD Electro Harmonix LPB-1 or the SUPER POPULAR Xotic EP Booster. The EP Booster is absolutely outstanding.
                If it was me.. and I had your amp... I would go for the EP Booster. Its absolutely NOT going to be a disappointment. Its a great pedal.

Comment

A bit of experimenting with an EQ in front might also get you there
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will see if my wallet can give it a try. BTW.. don't you just love the word "girth". Say it around your wives. It bothers them. Same with using the word "spew":
                    "Are you kidding?" I'm not going to look under sink at the garbage disposal right now." "I don't want it spewwing any stuff from a hose all over my clothes before the gig."

Comment

Working...
                    X