1x12 Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1x12 Cabinet

I have owned a Zinky BV 50 for years. I keep it at home but have gigged with it on occasions. It sounds great live with an ext cab. I have a pair of ADA 212 slants and will usually use one as the ext cab for the Zinky. I would like to get a 1x12 cab to keep the footprint small but I do not want to sacrifice a big sound. Any recommendations for cabs that do not cost as much as an entire amp? The 1x12 prices are all over the spectrum.

I have a Orange PPC112 and it's absolutely brutal... amazing low end and mid punch. It's not cheap... I've seen them for around $200 used. Probably not what you're looking for price wise, but mine sounds amazing.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks for the Orange advice. I'd say $200 is my max. If I could find one used AND in black, I could see throwing down 200 for one. I was surprised that Avatar's are not that inexpensive either.

Comment

I've got a ported Mesa Thiele cab which is pretty awesome. Check one of those out.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I saw that Mesa too and liked the features. Speaking of features, I saw a Jetcity 12S+ that is new and in my price range. Can order one through MF or GC for $149. It is ported and has a DI feature that could be handy, although I never have much faith in cab sims. Who would have thought so many options and prices in all these tiny cabs.

Comment

I forgot the Mesa is kinda pricey, got mine in a trade some years back. The Jet City looks pretty neat. Seismic Audio would be a good option, too. I got one of their 15" bass cabs off eBay a long time ago.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

TRADE.. hmmmm. I did not think of that. I have had my ADA cabs for years and they never get used except for practice. I may have to place a Craigslist ad and see what surfaces.

Comment

You say you have the ADA 2x12 which are vertical 2x12 cabinets and you mention wanting to get a 1x12 to keep the footprint small. A 1x12 would have the same 'footprint' on a stage as your current vertical 2x12 ADA cab. The ADA cab has the benefit of getting your amp higher off the ground so you can adjust it and the tilt back of the upper 12" speaker on the ADA has the benefit of pointing more at your ears so you can hear it better.

To me, you won't be gaining much in 'footprint' and will be losing in performance. If your thing is weight of a 1x12 vs weight of the ADA, I get it.

I too went down the highway of trying to find a 1x12 that would have a good sonic sound compared to a 2x12 or 4x12 but they just aren't out there due to the laws of acoustics/physics.

I have an ENGL 2x12 that is a vertical slant but large volume sealed cabinet that sounds awesome but weighs 80 lbs. I got a Jet City 24SVe slanted 2x12 (smaller volume than the ENGL and sealed) from craigslist for $150; weighs 40lbs but didn't have the low end impact of the ENGL. I then tried a BluGuitar 1x12 ported FATCAB (32 lbs and $560) and while being the best 1x12 I've tried, didn't come close to the ENGL. I even got another FATCAB from Reverb for $350 and the two of them together were an improvement, better than the Jet City 2x12, but not as good as the ENGL.

If you are really wanting a 1x12, I would suggest only trading away one of your ADA 2x12 cabinets, keep the other one in case the 1x12 experiment doesn't work for you. That way you'd have the 1x12 as you wanted and also have the option of using the single left over ADA cab.

Comment

My Zinky combo will not fit on top of the slant ADA vertical without 2 rubber feet off the side. When I use the ADA, I have to sit it on the side, taking up as much width as a 4x12. I'm in no hurry to get a 1x12 but if the right deal comes along, I will go for it. I'm not so sure the ADA's would trade or sell well without being a pair.

Comment

The ADA 2x12 cabs have come in very handy over the years. I bought a pair new when they came out in the 80's and still own them. I've bought more since then and if the price is right, yes you could sell an individual cab.
                    On the cab sim part, depends what sim you use. For live use we've gone completely to sims. Either Torpedo Live or Palmer DI's. For foot print, I agree there is minimum if anything to be gained foot print wise by going from vertical 2×12 ADA to 1×12.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
                      My Zinky combo will not fit on top of the slant ADA vertical without 2 rubber feet off the side. When I use the ADA, I have to sit it on the side, taking up as much width as a 4x12. I'm in no hurry to get a 1x12 but if the right deal comes along, I will go for it. I'm not so sure the ADA's would trade or sell well without being a pair.
                      When I've had that problem in the past, I solved it by getting a sheet of 1/4" thick or 3/8" thick plywood. I would cut it a little bigger than the outer-most dimensions of the rubber feet on the amp. I would paint the plywood black and on the side facing the cabinet, I would put either rubber or felt pads so that the pads were the thing contacting the top of the speaker cabinet and on the 'amp side' of the plywood I would use a forstner bit to drill 'pocket' recesses in the plywood that the amps rubber feet would settle into. You could do this for a few $ and enable to you play with the ADA cabinet in the vertical position. I found this secure and never had an issue where the amp fell off. You could even screw the plywood panel to the top of the ADA for added security. If you didn't want to screw it to the 2x12 cabinet, you could secure the plywood to the ADA by using a ratcheting tiedown, hooking the tie down to the handles in the ADA and looping the tie down over the plywood.

Comment

I like how this guy thinks. It never occurred to me to Macgyver the ADA. I will give it a try. BTW.. my lack of ingenuity was a side effect from G.A.S. I was looking forward to a new cab.

Comment

I got a good deal on an egnator 1x12 put an ev-12 in it and i love it. Ive got a boogie wide body 1x12 too, its a little warmer sounding, but doesnt have the clarity of the ev cab. Granted combined they sound great. And i have seen mesa thieles used in the 300 range just check if its the C90 or EV version.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            I've got a ported Mesa Thiele cab which is pretty awesome. Check one of those out.
                            Yes they are, but they need to be pretty loud to notice the difference.

Comment

Try the Mark Neo Classic. 1x12 cabinet, 150 watt speaker, sounds great, 18 pounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X