Kasha Rockmod II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kasha Rockmod II

One thing that isn't cool about them is that he potted the board so it essentially is un-fixable if something were to go wrong or you wanted to mod it.

A friend has a custom one that was made with two clean channels and a crunch channel. One clean channel is your standard clean and the other is a blues clean that will overdrive nicely.

I agree, for the price, they are great sounding preamps.

Comment

They're built very heavy duty, but I agree that it was disappointing to see the circuit all gooped up like that. I have no idea if you can get service for these anymore or not.

Comment

Originally posted by rstites:
        I used the Soldano SP-77 for several years and sold it after getting the Kasha.
        The Kasha clean is better (I like the SP-77s for what it is) especially if you want more
        of a Fender/classic clean. I debate still whether I don't like the SP-77 crunch sound
        a little better for what I do or not.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I love my Soldano Series II SP-77 (USA)!

I added some 'factory' mods (that Soldano offers for their SLO) to my SP-77 -
        it was worth the effort! The clean channel WAS a good one, but now its REALLY GOOD!
        No more of that *buzzy* *sizzle* high-end on the CRUNCH channel that many SP-77 users mention.

I posted some more details here

Ultimatetone.com

[ February 23, 2004, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Ultimatetone.com ]

Comment

Any schematics of what you did? I've heard that the clean scoop mod affects both channels on the SLO and lots of people don't like what it does to the lead channel. I suspect that the separate EQ's of the SP-77 make that a non-factor?

I ended up buying a SLO and have been very happy with it. Mine is completely stock, but I do want to go try one with some of the standard mods sometime.

Comment

I actually own a Kasha Rockmod I and previously owned a II as well. Both very cool pre's. I felt the Rockmod I was bit more musical and I've had it for years. I haven't found a preamp that I like better than the Rockmod I.

Also I happened to run across John Kasha's e-mail in an old thread I found regarding the Rockmods. I sent him an e-mail, just saying how I've really enjoyed his preamps. He replied back stating that he was very glad and he actually sounded astonished that there were some of us still using them. He said he "Put alot of heart and soul" into those designs. He also stated that he no longer is in the amp building business. Of course I asked him if he had anything laying around that he might want to sell on the cheap [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] of course he said he didn't. I then e-mailed him back about servicing the units and he never got back to me.

Comment

Originally posted by iron_monkey:
              One thing that isn't cool about them is that he potted the board so it essentially is un-fixable if something were to go wrong or you wanted to mod it.

A friend has a custom one that was made with two clean channels and a crunch channel. One clean channel is your standard clean and the other is a blues clean that will overdrive nicely.

I agree, for the price, they are great sounding preamps.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I've had problems with two of them in the past, one the clean channel didn't work quite right and the other the crunch channel didn't work right. I tried to find a schematic for them in hopes of having them fixed but with no luck.
              I just ended up trading them in at music stores for other pieces of gear and bought other ones used for around that $200., $250. range.
              I currently own three Rockmod II's, one with the original foot switch, and don't plan on selling any of them! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

MSGfan,

Would you be gracious enough to tell me or show a pic of how your footswitch is wired? Mine has been to Hell and back and now only switches two channels. I tried resoldering everything but it still is not functioning correctly. I know I'm missing something silly [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Aaron.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebbflow:
                  MSGfan,

Would you be gracious enough to tell me or show a pic of how your footswitch is wired? Mine has been to Hell and back and now only switches two channels. I tried resoldering everything but it still is not functioning correctly. I know I'm missing something silly [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Aaron.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ebbflow,
                  If you have a Midi pedal, pick up an old Rockman Midi Octopus and connect to the Digital switching input jacks on the back of the pre amp. This is the abosolute best way to switch the channels on the Rockmod II. Much better than useing the original foot switch. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks MSG,

Looks like I'm headed for the bay, again.

Comment

Working...
                    X