Tube question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tube question:

Pete could you expand on your expieriences with preamp tubes. I am not very knowlegdeable about the preamp section of amps. My favorite lead sound is right as I turn off my JCM 800 for about two seconds it has that total fluid sound.

Do you know the sound I am talking about? Kind of vague. Anyway I am replacing my preamp tubes in my recto soon. I have heard a lot about using chinese 12ax7's in my triple. Anyway I am dumb on this subject could you enlighten me?

Comment

Just to confuse things, Mesa also has 5881s. I think I'm going to try the EL34s, as I have absolutely NO bottom end problems with the 7 string - if anything, it's got too much.

Of course, I could go for the best of both worlds with a Road King, but I'm short about a grand... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Mike
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Mesa 5881s are the newer craptacular ones. Vintage TungSols are the way to go for 5881s... the newer ones suck. I love how my single recto sounds with TungSols, would probably hate it with the crapass mesas.

pete

Comment

I had a suspicion that the 5881s were not good - I think they only keep them because some of their old bass amps use them, so they have to be able to sell them to customers.

EL34s it is - I'm just debating spending the extra cash for the Siemens...

Mike

Comment

I'd recommend just about ANY brand of EL34 (other than JJ, since my friend has had trouble with his) over 6L6s in a Recto amp.

Yeah, there are differences between brands, but much MORE differences between types of tubes. As soon as I get back from xmas vacation, my single recto is getting a bias mod and EL34s fitted... we'll see how they compare to the 5881s. I'll probably prefer the 34s...

BTW, what's Matt running in his amp?

Pete

Comment

Matt is sending his triple back to Mesa and getting a new RoadKing. He'll post my results when he posts pictures of his gear [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Talk like Gollum, he does, my precious. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm looking forward to hearing "The King", although the temptation to call your rig Elvis may be beyond control...

As an FYI for Mesa types, the last few Rectos I've seen at GC were shipped with EL34s in them...

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X