Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amp volume?

I say screw it all and buy solid state. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

If you start pushing the power tubes with a 50 watt amp when practicing in your room, you're a dumbass. Save that kind of stuff for gigs.

Comment

I got a marshall valvestate 100w combo... never got the volume past 1/4 turn...(in the house)..it'll rattle stuff of shelves n stuff. Its a great little amp.

Comment

Your right Pete I never turned my 50 watt JCM 800 enough to saturate at practice levels. Although I have played with one drummer that my 50 watt was not enough for. It was crazy he was just a little guy but he beat the **** out of the drums.

Any way a friend of mine has the exact series ampa master volume single channel(JCM 800) and cab(1960a), only he has the 100 watt. At practice levels which would be 1.75 on my head he has more bass and a tighter bottom end. It was way obvious. I don't about all this headroom stuff. I just know by direct comparsion at low volumes a 100 watt JCM 800 has more bass than the equivilent 50 watt. The only difference is mine has 6550's and his has el34's.

[ December 21, 2002, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

I took the outer two tubes out of my 5150 and I really like the sound , its definitely more "brown" to my ears, but at gigs, it isnt loud enough w/ my rhythem guitarist who plays a duo rectumfryer half stack. I think Im goona get some new tubes and run 4 cuz the ones I took out were going bad I think.

Comment

All the 100 wt. Marshalls I had sound better and chunkier than my 50 wt. versions

[ December 21, 2002, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
            X