Help with tubes please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with tubes please!

How cool... I'd have enjoyed hearing a 900 with 6L6s. Sounds like it would be pretty kickass. I always ran high volume levels onstage and kinda hated what the EL34s did to my tone... They got a little mushy and compressed.

Hence my move to the KT88 VHT 2150...

Comment

Sorry cleve i got a low attention span [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I was under the impression that EL34's give a weaker kind of distorsion (Jimi Hendrix and AC/DC kind of sound) where as 6L6's give the more punchier harder kind of distorsion, if you know what I mean... Is this true at all? Also Cleve I kind of didn't understand most of the stuff after the tube advice part.

Comment

Gosh Dangit! Now you guys have me wanting to try some different 6L6's! #$%^@#%^ [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

If we do the JCF texas gettogether, I can bring a few different tubes (mullard 12ax7, some USA GEs, a pair of NOS 5881s (kickass 6L6 types). etc.

Pete

Comment

That's an offer you should take Troy. I know first hand the tubes Pete is talking about really do make a difference. ][:o)#
            We must!
            We must!
            We must increase the bust!
            The bigger the better!
            The tighter the sweater!
            The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Sweetness! I think we're talking about doing it some time in January? February? Something like that.

Comment

Right, i'm heading twords getting svetlana 6L6GC's and chineese preamps. Oh yeah I took out the wasted old tubes in the back of the amp at the moment and the sockets are all 8 small pins with 1 big hole in the centre (will 6L6's fit in these?)
                Comments/Advice on my choice so far. Also does that 100w to 50w switch make the amp distorte at lower volume's?

Comment

Working...
                X