Carvin Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carvin Legacy

I've heard the Peavey stuff, and I was gonna buy the XXX, but backed out because a I supposedly had a good deal for a JCM 800. But that never happened because of problems with communication, etc. etc., and then I remembered the Legacy. I had heard sound clips before but that was when I knew It'd never be possible for it to happen, but now it is possible for me to get one. I listened, and I think that it sounds great to my ears.

If I absolutley hate it, then I'll send it back and get a refund and look for other amps. Which may happen, but I doubt it. But if it does, then you live you learn.

Comment

Okay, I haven't played the new Carvin amps, so take what I'm saying with a whole barrel of salt. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I use an early 90's X-100B (the carpet covered one) and it's a really good amp. An UNBELIEVABLE amp for the prices you can find them used. It nails that NWoBHM sound with absolutely no external gear.

However, I wouldn't touch the current Carvin heads. The MTS uses clipping diodes in the signal path of the lead channel to get its sound; and I've seen a few too many reviews of the Legacy that recommend your external gear include a fire extinguisher. So there you go.
      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Good luck, Word.

Comment

Bottom line is a lot of your tone is in your hands and in your head. I know if I'm feeling my tone I play a lot better and it feels easier. I have an 82 Bogie Mark II B Coliseum 300 head, with and effects loop mod done by Boogie and It has never let me down. I can't speak for the new boogie stuff, haven't really played any of em. All I head of Vai head was on the web site.
          www.kiddhavok.com
          www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

The Legacy that I used nailed that mid-70's Joe Perry tone. If that's what you wanna use with your classical/shred music, then go right ahead...

Comment

I love Steve Vai the player. However, I like oklastrat, feel his guitar tone isn't very good. His tone sounds thin and whiny to me. I am not knocking the guy, that's just what he likes, not necessarily what I like. I am sure the Legacy is built to sound like Steve wants it too. It's just a matter of lot of people don't like that sound. If you do though, I say buy one you only have to please yourself and the tone you hear in your head. Tone is relative.
              hpets [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Strange. I haven't heard the Legacy, but the new Guitar One had an ad about MIPA voting. The Carvin Legacy was listed as the best amp of all this time around. It can't be as crappy as many of you claim.

Comment

Yeah and they probably voted Kirk Hammet best metal guitarist...

Obviously they have amazing powers of observation...

Comment

I noticed that the made in korea Santana SE (PRS import) won as best guitar over that toneless piece of crap Ernie Ball Petrucci model. (they were both finalists.)

Yeah, these dudes are spot on. An AVT marshall won best combo too.

Actually, I didnt' see mention of the Legacy on their webpage, but who knows? Maybe it was a past winner.

Pete

Comment

Steve Vai would sound good on a peavey practice amp through an 8 inch speaker. I think the reliabilty would be a question. I know some have had good luck with Carvin and some have had reliability issues, at least with their older stuff. I don't know how they are now but, it seems like I remember you had to send their stuff back to them for warranty work.

I think if your looking to buy a Carvin to get the equivilent sound(as advertised) of more expensive amp you might be disappointed. If you are looking for a cheaper amp to get some power and some features you may be happy. Play it(for more than 10 min) and see. If you can't play it first I wouldn't buy it regardless of brand, hype, ect.

Comment

Well
                        I think Word will Sound AWSOME threw a Carvin [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Aw thanks Sid. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll sell you my Gorilla Tube Cruncher amp (original version from '86) for really cheap! It's got an 8" speaker. You'll love it!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Word, what sort of sound are you trying to achieve--are you looking to really imitate Vai?

To me, the Mesa Rectos are awesome for heavy rhythm but don't 'sing' enough to be great lead amps. Nowadays, I only record direct and don't own a real guitar amp, so I'm not familiar with all the boutique stuff from the last ten years or so. The best amp I've played lately for a lead sound was a VHT--don't know the model (it was in a used guitar store and I didn't look at it that hard).

I haven't played a Legacy (I live about 2000 miles from the nearest Carvin retail store), but I did have an X100B half stack (w/Celestions) back in the late '80s. That thing was a great tone machine with a sparkling clean sound. It had crunch, but not heavy distortion. That section had a good basic tone for leads, though--putting a Rat in front of it made it into a monster lead guitar amp. I ultimately got sick of lugging it around in my various moves around the country and sold it. I've never heard a Marshall that had nearly as nice an overall tone as that X100B, even if they both require some pedal help to achieve usable metal distortion. Also, my X100B was a tank--never once had a problem with it, and it got moved around a lot.

Comment

I'm not trying to imitate Vai, I'm just kind of tone seeking in a way, and this sounds better to my ears than most of the other stuff I've heard. I'm not looking for a slushy amp like the Mesa Dual Rectifier, and I don't mind putting a pedal in front of an amp to get a good singing lead sound.

Who cares if you put a distortion pedal in front an amp? Most people have to use pedals to get a sound they like no matter what amp their using.

I'm still searching though, but so far this amp sounds good to me. If I end up just hating it to death then I'll send it back. It's not like it's a big deal or anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X