NAD - Original Peavey Butcher.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Original Peavey Butcher.

I guess I haven't been around for a while, so hi guys!!

Anyway, I just picked up this ugly beast.

I had one about 25 years ago, in fact it was my first tube amp, first head & cabinet. the only other amp I'd ever owned was a Bandit 112. I foolishly traded the Butcher in after a couple of years because it didn't have enough gain for the music I wanted to play. So after owning 30 or so different tube amps over the years, I've come full circle back to the Butcher. Some people call this the Mississippi Marshall, and it certainly earns that nickname. It is essentially a JCM 800 circuit with a couple of different resistor values and 6L6 power tubes. Does it sound like an 800? Damn right it does. This things sounds incredible. Just like an 800 with a tad more gain and more bottom end. Stick an SD-1 in front of it, and it will do anything other than the most brutal high gain. I've already swapped it into a 5150 head shell which sheds probably 15 pounds of weight, and some of the ugliness. I'm going to make a metal grill for it and I have a Peavey logo kicking around here somewhere for it.

I'm not gonna trade this one that's for sure.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

That brings back memories. I had one, got it in 88'(IIRC) with the matching cab. It really rocked, but only if it was wide open. it weighed 10 tons. I kept it till around 95'. I really don't miss carrying it around.

Comment

Sweet!! I had a Peavey Ultra 120 and didn`t care for it. I think people prefer the Butcher over the Ultra 120. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
      X