a couple of new amps and a quick review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple of new amps and a quick review

I picked up a Marshall Haze 40C 1 x 12 combo. Very cool sounding amp. Really loud with plenty of thump. Its a fairly dark smooth sounding amp with medium gain. Takes pedals really well. Sounds a little like a DSL40.. but just a little. Absolutely loud enough to gig with. I threw an MXR GT/OD distortion pedal in front of it and the amp sound great for 80's metal.

Crate BV-120H Blue Voodoo. I believe its one of the original ones. Big Gold Crate logo out in front. This amp probably gets more bad reviews and rants than any other USA made high gain tube amp. Here is what I think... being an amp snob and owning 2 rooms full of tube amps.

Clean channel is excellent and very useable. Great reverb which is separate for both channels.
    Footswitch controls channel switching and effects loop on and off. (That's probably the most useable config for a live player! )
    Gain channel has a TON of gain. Its buzzy, its aggressive, it doesn't really do the medium crunch thing that well. You can dial out a lot of the buzz by lowering the treble and the presence and leaving the midrange at about noon or a little more. This is a great low cost amp for just about any metal player out there. Its really powerful and its certainly a heavy sounding amp. BTW... I believe CC Deville used them a lot live (I saw Poison once and I was close on CC's side a few years ago and he was using 2 full stacks of these amps. I know he was using them because I saw him go up to the one that was actually working and adjust his tone a few times in between songs).
    The amp does produce his type of tone. Very easy to hear.. very forgiving for the guitar player. Super easy to shred away and when you turn the amp up it has so much gain it never really clears up like my Marshalls do. That's actually a good thing when you are playing 80's metal.
    Anyway.... IMHO.. this amp absolutely does NOT deserve the bad rap it gets online. I think the reason for this bad rap is the amp is inexpensive... it can be purchased used really cheap and they sold a zillion of them so many kiddies have them who don't know how to use them or dial them in. In the hands of a player who knows what they are doing.. its a fine amp.

Cool. Always wondered about those Marshalls.

The Blue Voodoos were pretty decent. I used to have a BV60 head with KT66 tubes instead of the 6L6, and that thing sounded killer!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Played one of those haze amps when they first came out. I guess they didn't do well. Don't see them around. I thought it sounded OK.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
      X