Laney Amp for 80s/Jake E Lee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney Amp for 80s/Jake E Lee

How are Laney amps? I'm wanting to get a better amp for under 500 and I've had a few people tell me Laneys are good for 80s/Jake E Lee/Demartini and to be honest I don't know hardly anything about them or what models would be best etc? If you guys have any other recommendations I'll gladly listen! Thanks in advance

AOR/Protube series are good for that sort of stuff, the GH50L or GH100L also

You should be able to find those right around the 500$ mark
    Out Of Ideas

Comment

I have two Laney amps and love them.

A VH100R is a total beast and it's lil brother the VC50 2x12 combo.
      Picked up the VC50 first after watching some Paul Gilbert studio recordings on youtube.
      When the VH100R showed up for sale, I didn't think twice about getting it.
      Fantastic amps, plenty of gain & effect inserts/returns and a nice clean channel too.

I've been buying & trying different amps for years and I'm very glad I found them both.

Good luck!

Comment

Another one I wasn't kinda curious about what Randall Amps...a guy near me is selling a Randall RG1003H head and Randall RX4x12 cab for 300 bones

Comment

In my opinion, a Randall solid state only sounds like a Randall solid state. Great for nailing Dimebag tones, but doesn't necessarily scream 80's hair. On Craigslist there's a Marshall AVT150 half stack for $380 in Wilmington or a Peavey VTM120 and Marshall MG412 for $500 in Fayetteville. I would go after something like that IMO.

Comment

Couple things I just found was a Laney VG30 for $350 and a Laney GC30 for $125. There's a lot of marshalls around my area I just don't know which ones to stay away from like I've always heard that the MGs weren't the best and only certain ones will have an "80s" tone

Comment

A used Carvin X100B all-tube head can be had for $300.00-ish on the Guitar Center Used Gear site. And believe me, it'll do anything the Laney will.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by JS122615 View Post
                There's a lot of marshalls around my area I just don't know which ones to stay away from like I've always heard that the MGs weren't the best and only certain ones will have an "80s" tone
                The 80's tone would mainly be the JCM 800 series. Those go for about $800.00-$1000.00 these days.
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                  The 80's tone would mainly be the JCM 800 series. Those go for about $800.00-$1000.00 these days.
                  im really trying to stay under 500 max at the moment.

Comment

Don't buy anything MG.

Comment

I have two AOR 50s, a head and a combo. I mostly use the head. It is one of my best Marshalls.

Comment

I think the guy just made a typo it's a Laney Vc30 for $350 but he lives 3 hours from me so unfortunately it'll probably be gone before I could make it over there
                        https://hickory.craigslist.org/msg/6100760124.html
                        Last edited by JS122615; 05-16-2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Never tried the vc30's, have you heard them on youtube?
                          These days, I always try to hear amps 1st, it sucks to buy something and have to resell stuff when it doesn't have the tone you need.

Comment

don't know about the Laney's but those old Carvin X100's are like the poor mans JCM excellent amps. had one years ago w some minor mods its was a killer amp. & the randall RGs are great for 80's metal, iv had more than a few of those. before the Dime made them semi collectable you could pick em up for like $2-300, main issue is the foot switch uses some odd 6 pin connector so if you buy one make sure it has the foot switch.

Comment

Anyone know anything about Peavy Bandits? Some people say the Bandit 65 and a guy is selling a Bandit 112 for $300 near me..

Comment

Working...
                              X